Author Topic: Prefer local proxies for slow network mounts  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Marziah

• View Profile
Prefer local proxies for slow network mounts
« on: August 25, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »

Anand.sankaran created topic
11 months ago on Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM
My primary usecase of photo mechanic plus is to catalog tens of thousands of images on my NAS.  I want to be able to quickly browse through and search my images in NAS, mark those I like, copy them over to process to my localhost.

PM+ currently ignores local proxies if the network branch is available and reachable and makes it too slow to regenerate previews.  I request a toggle that always uses local proxies if selected, irrespective of my NAS being reachable or not.
4 people upvoted this

Offline editor@africamediaonline.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Prefer local proxies for slow network mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 09:02:15 AM »

Anand.sankaran created topic
11 months ago on Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM
My primary usecase of photo mechanic plus is to catalog tens of thousands of images on my NAS.  I want to be able to quickly browse through and search my images in NAS, mark those I like, copy them over to process to my localhost.

PM+ currently ignores local proxies if the network branch is available and reachable and makes it too slow to regenerate previews.  I request a toggle that always uses local proxies if selected, irrespective of my NAS being reachable or not.
4 people upvoted this

I am not sure how to upvote this feature request, but as far as I am concerned this is the most important feature update that Photo Mechanic Plus could do and it is what I thought I was buying when I purchased the software. I thought that is what set PM+ apart from PM, was the fact that I would not have to wait for the previews to build each time I clicked on a folder. Sadly, that is not the case when my indexed hard drives are plugged in. This behaviour I cannot understand. Surely this is a very simple matter to allow one to browse the generated and cached previews instead of regenerating each time from the original files. Please can this be added ASAP, it will seriously revolutionise everyone's use of PM+. Browsing the cached previews, by the way, should be default in the system.

Offline editor@africamediaonline.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 10:57:08 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Is it possible to add this feature? If so, do you know when you expect it to be added?

Sincerely,

David

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 09:56:43 AM »
It is a feature we would like to add, but we do not have a timeline estimate for when we might be able to add it.

Offline andrew.welch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 07:04:10 PM »
Looks like this feature is declined? I'll continue to not be able to use this software to the extent that it promised and will continue recommending other DAMs where previews can be served efficiently.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 10:45:53 AM »
Looks like this feature is declined? I'll continue to not be able to use this software to the extent that it promised and will continue recommending other DAMs where previews can be served efficiently.
The feature has not been declined, but we also never promised it would be added to the product. We simply stated that we hope to add it in the future (and we would still like to do so), we just simply have not had the development resources to implement this feature yet.

Offline andrew.welch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 06:34:59 PM »
This is what it says on the website right now:
  • Scroll a Million Photos without a pause
  • Photo Mechanic Plus takes performance to a new level. Browse a million photos without stopping.
  • Powerful Search Box
  • Search gives you the power of simple or complex searches to find what you’re looking for across multiple drives.

So I need to make sure I keep 1,000,000 photos on my device, optimistically at 12MB per image, thats 12TB of storage. Is that realistic?

Meanwhile we can't even search 500...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:44:51 PM by andrew.welch »