Author Topic: add to catalog - prompt for option to select which catalog  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Marziah

• View Profile
add to catalog - prompt for option to select which catalog
« on: August 25, 2021, 03:32:24 PM »
David Page created topic
9 months ago on Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:26 AM
Currently if I select a bunch of images then click add to catalog it will add all the selected images to EVERY catalog I have with the "add/modify box" ticked.

Very error prone to use. If I have inadvertently left all my Catalogs with the "add/modify box" ticked then the selected images get added to ALL my catalogs.

To stop this is it possible just to include a prompt to ask which Catalog to add the selected images to before whizzing off and doing its' thing to potentially all my catalogs?

8 people upvoted this
Gordon Bazzana replied
8 months ago on Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 10:41 PM
Yes please!! I agree 100%. The current implementation is very error-prone. It is so easy to accidentally add images to the wrong catalog. A few of the times it has happened I didn't realize it right away either. I figured it out several weeks later, but by then it was impossible to recall which images were affected. I ended up deleting the catalog it and rebuilding it from scratch.

Having to remember to go to tick the right boxes BEFORE adding to a catalog just seems backwards UI to me. For example, if you are doing a Save As or Copy or whatever, you select the menu item first and THEN you get a pop-up asking where to put it. In the same way, Include In Catalog should give you a prompt so you can select which catalog.

Also, If I am working in the Favourites tab, the 'Active Catalogs' selector tool is not visible. Therefore I have to select images and change to the Organizer tab to tick the right boxes. Then I have to switch back to Favourites... and back to Organizer... and back to Favourites... etc. Having an 'Active Catalogs' selector pop up automatically would actually save me time navigating back and forth, and it would make errors nearly impossible.

I realize that if you only use one catalog this feature would be an unnecessary extra step, but maybe it could be optional... a 'prompt before adding to catalog' preference.