Author Topic: trying to make some sense with folder sizes  (Read 2285 times)

Offline mmj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
trying to make some sense with folder sizes
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »
Hello
I just scanned a folder with sub-folders to the catalog - according to finder the structure contains 20845 pictures - the folder is called 2017 with twelve sub-folders for the months - PM show that there are 21,055 items - for year 2018 the difference is even bigger - I've no idea where the difference is coming from and how to actually figure out why PM is not showing the correct number - hope you guys have some ideas?

thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: trying to make some sense with folder sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 02:08:49 PM »
I just scanned a folder with sub-folders to the catalog - according to finder the structure contains 20845 pictures - the folder is called 2017 with twelve sub-folders for the months - PM show that there are 21,055 items - for year 2018 the difference is even bigger - I've no idea where the difference is coming from and how to actually figure out why PM is not showing the correct number - hope you guys have some ideas?

If most of the images are RAW files and they sometimes (or all the time) have an XMP sidecar file then the number of files in the hierarchy won't be the number of photos in the hierarchy.  XMP sidecar files (which contain metadata) are not images.  The Finder is listing the total number of files.  I'm not aware of any way to get the Finder to list the count of images specifically.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mmj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 02:42:28 PM »
just figured it out - I had a whole bunch of hidden jpg files in those folders - PM seems to import them whereas Finder and / or Apple Photos do not show/count them - wonder whether PM should import them into the catalog - I'm not sure?!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:23:04 PM »
just figured it out - I had a whole bunch of hidden jpg files in those folders - PM seems to import them whereas Finder and / or Apple Photos do not show/count them - wonder whether PM should import them into the catalog - I'm not sure?!

If our directory scan finds them it's going to catalog them.

-Kirk

Offline mmj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »
I'm still not sure whether PM should add hidden pictures into the catalog and basically unhide them - they might be hidden for a reason?!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 10:01:54 PM »
I'm still not sure whether PM should add hidden pictures into the catalog and basically unhide them - they might be hidden for a reason?!

Photo Mechanic Plus is not checking to see if a file is hidden at this time.  This could be changed to ignore hidden files if users wanted it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 11:36:24 PM »

How are your files hidden?  Via attribute or naming (macOS will hide files/folders that begin with a dot (.)) ?

-Kirk

Offline mmj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 07:37:35 PM »
with a . (dot) in front of the filename