Author Topic: Disable smart jumping when using side-by-side or top-bottom split views  (Read 1247 times)

Offline westleyargentum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hey all! First time posting – sorry if I miss something.

I'm on OSX 10.15.7 (19H15) running Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5560 (6e1b8a6)

I do a lot of shooting in burst mode and sometimes I like to use the split views (side-by-side or top-bottom) to compare a set of similar images to pull out the sharpest or nicest in some way. I usually do this by advancing one of the views to the first of the series of images, then advancing the other view through the rest until I find a better one, then going back to the first pane and advancing again to see if yet a better image appears, back and forth. Once I've gone through the whole set one of the views will be on the photo I liked best and I'll star it.

The issue I'm having is with the very aggressive "smart jumping" when using these split views. When I click between the views the view that takes focus will jump ahead to the image that the other view is looking at. Is there a setting that I'm missing which would allow me to turn that feature off?

I love Photo Mechanic and mostly find it extremely intuitive. And I like the other part of the "smart jumping" where, after staring the image from one set, hitting the right arrow will automatically jump me to the photo after the photo that the other view is looking at. But I can't figure out how automatically advancing when just clicking between the two views would ever be desired behavior? I'm not saying that to be mean in any way – I'm genuinely curious if there's some workflow trick that maybe I'm missing?

Thanks a ton for your time!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Disable smart jumping when using side-by-side or top-bottom split views
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 07:01:33 AM »
Hey all! First time posting – sorry if I miss something.

I'm on OSX 10.15.7 (19H15) running Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5560 (6e1b8a6)

I do a lot of shooting in burst mode and sometimes I like to use the split views (side-by-side or top-bottom) to compare a set of similar images to pull out the sharpest or nicest in some way. I usually do this by advancing one of the views to the first of the series of images, then advancing the other view through the rest until I find a better one, then going back to the first pane and advancing again to see if yet a better image appears, back and forth. Once I've gone through the whole set one of the views will be on the photo I liked best and I'll star it.

The issue I'm having is with the very aggressive "smart jumping" when using these split views. When I click between the views the view that takes focus will jump ahead to the image that the other view is looking at. Is there a setting that I'm missing which would allow me to turn that feature off?

I love Photo Mechanic and mostly find it extremely intuitive. And I like the other part of the "smart jumping" where, after staring the image from one set, hitting the right arrow will automatically jump me to the photo after the photo that the other view is looking at. But I can't figure out how automatically advancing when just clicking between the two views would ever be desired behavior? I'm not saying that to be mean in any way – I'm genuinely curious if there's some workflow trick that maybe I'm missing?

Thanks a ton for your time!

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing.  Can you make a short screen recording that illustrates the issue and post it here?  If it's too large then you'll have to upload it somewhere and share a link.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your video.

Thanks,

-Kirk