Author Topic: Proxies handling  (Read 1437 times)

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
Proxies handling
« on: September 06, 2021, 03:08:39 AM »
Hello Kirk,

in the post
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14460.0
you wrote:
Currently, if an image is available, it is always loaded directly instead of using the proxies.  Proxies are only used when the media containing the images is unavailable.  I'd like to change that and give users the option of using the proxies first on user-specified volumes.

The different usage of the proxies is very noticeable during larger searches:

When i work with a catalog offline, accessing the preview images is extremely fast.
(the catalog and the preview images are on an internal SSD).
When i connect the external hard drive where the original images are stored (it's a slower, external HDD), the display of the preview images becomes very slow. You can hear how for each preview image the original image is first located on the external hard disk before the preview image is displayed. With a large number of images, this takes a considerable amount of time.

It would be a great progress, to load the preview display in the foreground as fast as offline, while localizing the original files in the background.

Best regards

Thomas

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Proxies handling
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 01:39:33 AM »
I know the above post is 1½ years old, but I'd also very much like what is being requested, and suggested by you, Kirk.

When my catalogues are viewed from the local SSD with the external Thunderbolt Drives disconnected the load speed is near-instant. Once the external drive is connected, load speed is significantly impeded. So, if when connected to the external Thunderbolt dive, PM would load first the internal SSD proxy and then background load the external psd/tif/raw/jpg then searching and browsing could hopefully be near instant.

Machine: M1 Max 64GB
Catalogues: Roughly 90,000 images
External Disks: Thunderbolt connected SATA disks