Author Topic: Caption being trimmed by PM 4.6.1? Or is it ACR?  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Caption being trimmed by PM 4.6.1? Or is it ACR?
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
Running 4.6.1 on an Intel Mac with 10.5.8

Hi, I sometimes (unfortunately..) have to add monstrously long captions to accompany images. In an instance today I captioned NEFs in PM with a 571 word (3201 character) caption and 'Apple E'd' them for editing in ACR 4.6. On outputting these NEFs from ACR as jpegs I discovered when I examined the caption info back in PM that the caption had been trimmed down to approx 355 words (1996) characters - it actually varied between files. So is this a PM issue or an ACR one?

Many thanks

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Caption being trimmed by PM 4.6.1? Or is it ACR?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:28:07 AM »
Simon,

Running 4.6.1 on an Intel Mac with 10.5.8

Hi, I sometimes (unfortunately..) have to add monstrously long captions to accompany images. In an instance today I captioned NEFs in PM with a 571 word (3201 character) caption and 'Apple E'd' them for editing in ACR 4.6. On outputting these NEFs from ACR as jpegs I discovered when I examined the caption info back in PM that the caption had been trimmed down to approx 355 words (1996) characters - it actually varied between files. So is this a PM issue or an ACR one?

Photo Mechanic doesn't enforce restrictions on the length of IPTC/XMP fields.  The specification for IPTC Captions is 2000 characters (or less) and Photoshop does enforce that restriction.  If it is your goal to have long captions, you'll have to make sure you do your image processing in ACR before you enter your caption in PM.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
Understood, thanks again Kirk
Simon

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 08:29:16 PM »
Follow on question: Is there a limit in PM+ for the length of the caption?

I see the IPTC standard for captions is 2000 characters, but that PM doesn't enforce this limit.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 12:50:44 PM »
Follow on question: Is there a limit in PM+ for the length of the caption?

No, there is no hard limit to the number of characters that can be entered, in Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk