Author Topic: No Camera serial #  (Read 5321 times)

Offline DKoeck

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dan Koeck Photography
No Camera serial #
« on: May 01, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
I have two Nikon D200s and would like to know which files were shot on which camera.  It'd be simple if the serial numbers showed up in EXIF data, but I've never seen a SN show up in files from either camera.  Accordingly, I don't get the information using PM's serial number variable {snum} either.  Any advice?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No Camera serial #
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
I have two Nikon D200s and would like to know which files were shot on which camera.  It'd be simple if the serial numbers showed up in EXIF data, but I've never seen a SN show up in files from either camera.  Accordingly, I don't get the information using PM's serial number variable {snum} either.  Any advice?

The D200 does write out the serial EXIF tag, but unfortunately it writes out spaces and no digits.  I'm not sure why they bother to put the tag in when it is basically useless.

Sorry,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
I have two Nikon D200s and would like to know which files were shot on which camera.

I use a similar way with my two Canon models without any problem. Since your camera doesn't use the {snum} field properly, maybe you should try setting different owner infos into the two cameras (if Nikon lets you edit the owner field (as Canon does)) and read them accordingly.

I mean if your owner info is set to DKoeck use DKoeck-1 and DKoeck-2, after it you can use any combination of code replacements to mark your cameras. I prefer A and B and use the code replacement syntax /{snum}/ to be replaced with them.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:56:51 AM »
On the D2x (and I'm sure on the D200), you can change the file name so you can tell which camera shot it...

My files are number TOC_1234 or TOM_1234

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline DKoeck

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dan Koeck Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
On the D2x (and I'm sure on the D200), you can change the file name so you can tell which camera shot it...

tom

Thanks Tom.  Using different file names is a good solution.  Does your D2X write it's serial number in the EXIF data?

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »

tom

Thanks Tom.  Using different file names is a good solution.  Does your D2X write it's serial number in the EXIF data?

Yes, the D2x does include serial numbers in the EXIF... I see that the D200 doesn't ... wonder why... there are some technology updates in the D200 that are not in the D2x...

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com