Author Topic: Apply a template to lots of photos  (Read 1522 times)

Offline wesm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apply a template to lots of photos
« on: September 22, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
How do I Apply a Template to lots of photos without having to open all the directories as contact sheets? Like, maybe 10,000 photos?
I want to fill in the CopyrightURL (the xmpRights:WebStatement tag) and the Licensor information on all of them.

Is there a notion of meta template? There are a sizable number of fields where the value is fixed, it would be useful to have all my template defaults start from a meta template. I suppose one answer is to craft a snapshot of only the fixed fields, and start everything by loading that.

I know that I can do this task with exiftool, but sometimes I like to see what I'm doing :)

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apply a template to lots of photos
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
How do I Apply a Template to lots of photos without having to open all the directories as contact sheets? Like, maybe 10,000 photos?

Not possible.  PM only operates on images in its contact sheets.

I want to fill in the CopyrightURL (the xmpRights:WebStatement tag) and the Licensor information on all of them.

Is there a notion of meta template?

Yes.  It is the Metadata (IPTC) Template.  It can apply specific fields to a selection of images.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Apply a template to lots of photos
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:15:00 AM »
Though depending on your machine, it might be possible to open all 10k images in a single contact sheet to apply the metadata template.  By right-clicking a folder in the Navigator, you have the option to open that folder and all its subfolders in a single contact sheet.  I probably wouldn't advise working very often with a 10k image contact sheet in Photo Mechanic because it may slow things down ... but if you just need to apply the metadata template to all of them once, then you might give it a try. The application of the metadata template would also take a good while, many minutes. 

I will also mention that database in Photo Mechanic Plus can open a contact sheet of 10k images with no sweat -- it routinely can handle a million images.  Applying a metadata template to 10k images that way might also take a few minutes but I am fairly confident it would not be excruciating.  You could possibly give Photo Mechanic Plus a try on the free trial and see if that worked for you. 
Mick O
Camera Bits