Author Topic: Language in geolocation  (Read 2366 times)

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Language in geolocation
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
Hello:

A question / doubt: is there any possibility that in the reverse geolocation when the name of the location appears, the language can be selected? For example, in Ulan Bator, the location is Мэгжид Жанрайсиг сүм ...

Thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Language in geolocation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
A question / doubt: is there any possibility that in the reverse geolocation when the name of the location appears, the language can be selected? For example, in Ulan Bator, the location is Мэгжид Жанрайсиг сүм ...

Did you select your desired language from the "Reverse Geocoding Language" popup menu in the GPS page of the Photo Mechanic Plus Preferences dialog?

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
Yes, I have selected Spanish (it is my language, obviously  :)), I don't know if that is the problem

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:28:09 AM »
Yes, I have selected Spanish (it is my language, obviously  :)), I don't know if that is the problem

It's entirely possible that the data has no other translations for that location.

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
The name of the country and the city is fine, but not the location

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:45:31 PM »

It's entirely possible that the data has no other translations for that location.

-Kirk

Yes, I think if there is a translation. Example:

Мэгжид Жанрайсиг сүм = Templo de Magjid Janraisig or Magjid Janraisig Temple
Хонгорын элс - Булган = Khongoryn Els - Bulgan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 01:17:15 PM »

-Kirk

Yes, I think if there is a translation. Example:

Мэгжид Жанрайсиг сүм = Templo de Magjid Janraisig or Magjid Janraisig Temple
Хонгорын элс - Булган = Khongoryn Els - Bulgan

Hmm.  You did that translation yourself?  Or you found that translation somehow in our map database?

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 04:31:16 AM »
Sorry Kirk for not answering earlier, the hours are different. The translation was done in Google Translator.

It is weird, because you can correct the country, state / province, city, but not the location. The photos are made in Mongolia.

If I do reverse geolocation, it comes out in Mongolian language, but if I click the right button on the photo and select Show map, the name appears on the map in Mongolian and in English, that is, it does have a translation, but for some reason only The location appears in the Mongolian language.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:47 AM »
Sorry Kirk for not answering earlier, the hours are different. The translation was done in Google Translator.

It is weird, because you can correct the country, state / province, city, but not the location. The photos are made in Mongolia.

If I do reverse geolocation, it comes out in Mongolian language, but if I click the right button on the photo and select Show map, the name appears on the map in Mongolian and in English, that is, it does have a translation, but for some reason only The location appears in the Mongolian language.

Right, and that's because the data on our server for that location is only available in the Mongolian language.  It would have to be corrected in the data in the database.

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
First, thank you for your attention and time.

I understand that the language is not going to be corrected? Will the localization be in Mongolian language?

Thanks again. I'm a new user of Photo Mechanic Plus and congratulations, it is a very good software.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
First, thank you for your attention and time.

I understand that the language is not going to be corrected? Will the localization be in Mongolian language?

We use an open-source database called Nominatim (Open Street Map) which is updated by the user community.  While it's free and we're able to offer the service at no charge, the data isn't always perfect.  And to complicate things, our version of the database is rather old.  It needs to be updated.  It may be that updating the database will correct this specific issue.

Thanks again. I'm a new user of Photo Mechanic Plus and congratulations, it is a very good software.

Thanks!

-Kirk