Author Topic: Unable to browse my NAS  (Read 1995 times)

Offline CPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unable to browse my NAS
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:46:50 PM »
Hello,

I'm unable to browse my NAS with PM+. I recently had a Windows update performed which stopped Explorer from seeing the NAS but I corrected that problem only to have a PM+ issue. I didn't try PM+ prior to correcting the Explorer issue so I don't know if the fix is causing the problem. At the moment the NAS and Explorer are quick to respond so I know it's not the NAS or the software running on the unit.

I've tried "File>Open contact sheet..." and that works but it takes forever to finally bring up the directory on the NAS so something isn't working right.

I really need to get things operating as usual. Any ideas on what to do?

I'm running Win 10 with PM+ Version 6.0 Build 6026 (6de4cla).

Thank you.

Garry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to browse my NAS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
Garry,

I'm unable to browse my NAS with PM+. I recently had a Windows update performed which stopped Explorer from seeing the NAS but I corrected that problem only to have a PM+ issue. I didn't try PM+ prior to correcting the Explorer issue so I don't know if the fix is causing the problem. At the moment the NAS and Explorer are quick to respond so I know it's not the NAS or the software running on the unit.

I've tried "File>Open contact sheet..." and that works but it takes forever to finally bring up the directory on the NAS so something isn't working right.

I really need to get things operating as usual. Any ideas on what to do?

What was the problem that you corrected and how did you correct it?

-Kirk

Offline CPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
I attached a print of a support page from the Synology website that shows the steps that I took to see the NAS in Explorer.

I have DSM 6.2 so I logged on to the NAS and did the steps as shown with no problem.
Then I enabled the NetBIOS service for Windows 10 and completed steps 2, 3, and 4. Everything started to work properly after that.
I didn't have to re-enable network discovery since it's working properly.

Perhaps I should do that last step since it may have an impact on PM+?

Garry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 03:34:02 PM »
Garry,

I attached a print of a support page from the Synology website that shows the steps that I took to see the NAS in Explorer.

I have DSM 6.2 so I logged on to the NAS and did the steps as shown with no problem.
Then I enabled the NetBIOS service for Windows 10 and completed steps 2, 3, and 4. Everything started to work properly after that.

Hmm.  Possibly.

When you're browsing a folder, is it a folder with folders and you're opening it as folders and sub-folders?  Or is it just a flat folder with images?  What sorting method is your default?  Anything other than Filename and Modification Time will be slow.

-Kirk

Offline CPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 09:30:11 AM »
Garry,

Hmm.  Possibly.

When you're browsing a folder, is it a folder with folders and you're opening it as folders and sub-folders?  Or is it just a flat folder with images?  What sorting method is your default?  Anything other than Filename and Modification Time will be slow.

-Kirk

It takes about 45 seconds to load PM+ and display a small directory tree with a few selections (see attached screen grab). The only selection that does anything is "Microsoft Windows Network" and when selected it expands down and shows one line that says "Loading ... X" which disappears after about 15 seconds and then nothing happens. When I click on "Open contact sheet..." another window instantly pops up with a directory tree and a line ">Network". It takes another 15 seconds to expand this down to display the directory tree of the NAS. Now it operates normally and I can browse to my folder and display images. But as you know, this is a work around and I should be able to browse on a tree right from the start when PM+ loads. I'm not using any special sorting method since everything is the default.

I can only get to the NAS by going through the menu "Open contact sheet..." which is slow but once I get there I can browse through folders with no delay.

Garry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:52:15 AM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888