Author Topic: Preview, Preview/Cropped, Slideshow Consistency?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preview, Preview/Cropped, Slideshow Consistency?
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:54:48 AM »
I am running PM+ v6 build 6026 on macOS Big Sur v11.6. Both PM+ and these support forums are very much appreciated!

I have some questions about Preview, Preview/Cropped, and Slideshow keyboard shortcuts and whether I am misunderstanding, if there is a constraint, or if the functionality is by design.

If I preview an (image command-R or spacebar) I can toggle tags, set/change colour class and set/change rating. If I select multiple images to preview, I can deselect images.

If I preview an image with a crop and then view the image applying the crop (keyboard: p) I see only the cropped portion (as expected). But I can no longer tag, set/change colour class or rating. If I select multiple cropped images and view the image applying the crop I can no longer deselect images.

It would be helpful to be able to apply tag, colour and ratings, and to deselect while previewing images viewed with crops.

If I preview images, any change (tag, colour, rating) advances to the next image (as configured in preferences).

If I preview a mix of images with and without a crop, view the image cropped, the cropped preview is lost each time an image without a crop is displayed

It would be helpful to continue to display the cropped version of the image(s).
I can see the possibility of not knowing whether a crop has been applied, but one can toggle the cropped preview (keyboard p)

If I view images as a slideshow (command-l) I can change tag, colour and rating (crop applied or not), but there would seem to be no way to apply the same preference as for preview ie automatically advance to the next image. I can see the logic because one might apply both a rating and a tag to the same image. It would be useful to have an equivalent preference setting as is available for preview.

The short version of the above would be to have access to tagging, rating, colour class and deselecting across preview, preview/crop and slideshw.

Two other issues that should perhaps be separate support posts, but might be related:

In previous versions of PM, when previewing an image the info sidebar and thumbnail viewer could be cycled with keyboard shortcut f. ie thumbnail visible, info sidebar visible, thumbnail and info sidebar both visible and then both hidden. Now the sidebar and thumbnail are either shown or not shown. Being able to cycle through was useful.

In previous versions of PM (I believe), when viewing a slideshow the cropped version of an image was always displayed to fill the screen (if Apply Crop was selected in Slide Show Settings). Now it seems to depend. With admittedly small, low resolution images: 663x1000 188kb image displays full screen with crop applied; 731x488 156kb image displays without crop and doesn't fill screen; a 2762 x 4705 827kb image displays full screen but without with crop applied. All images display correctly in preview with crop applied ie filling the window with the cropped image.

Thanks for considering these questions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview, Preview/Cropped, Slideshow Consistency?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 06:43:51 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for your feedback.  I moved your post here to the Feature Requests board as it seems more appropriate here.

-Kirk

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the response. I can see how my questions are feature requests.

Isn't the last item more of an issue though? ie whether an image is displayed in Slideshow filling the screen and/or cropped doesn't behave consistently?

Thanks,

Peter

... With admittedly small, low resolution images: 663x1000 188kb image displays full screen with crop applied; 731x488 156kb image displays without crop and doesn't fill screen; a 2762 x 4705 827kb image displays full screen but without with crop applied. All images display correctly in preview with crop applied ie filling the window with the cropped image.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 07:31:56 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the response. I can see how my questions are feature requests.

Isn't the last item more of an issue though? ie whether an image is displayed in Slideshow filling the screen and/or cropped doesn't behave consistently?

Thanks,

Peter

... With admittedly small, low resolution images: 663x1000 188kb image displays full screen with crop applied; 731x488 156kb image displays without crop and doesn't fill screen; a 2762 x 4705 827kb image displays full screen but without with crop applied. All images display correctly in preview with crop applied ie filling the window with the cropped image.

How about posting that with whatever surrounding context you think it needs as a new post in the Support board?  Then we can delete these last two posts.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 01:20:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk. I have done as suggested and posted the cropping issue to the support forum.

Should I repost the original message as a feature request, removing the support issue? Should I post my original note as two issues: a) Preview/Slideshow keyboard shortcut availability consistency and b) cycling through display of thumbnail and/or info sidebar in preview vs both displayed or both hidden?