Author Topic: Metadata (IPTC) Template, alert...  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
Metadata (IPTC) Template, alert...
« on: October 08, 2021, 07:35:42 AM »
Hello Kirk,

I regularly get "tricked" with the Metadata (IPTC) Template, by leaving a box checked... that I apply to photos without wanting to...

Is it possible to mark in red (or flash, bell, alert...  :D ) the checked boxes, to better warn the stupid brainless user...

Many thanks...

;)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata (IPTC) Template, alert...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 09:09:23 AM »
Dub,

I regularly get "tricked" with the Metadata (IPTC) Template, by leaving a box checked... that I apply to photos without wanting to...

Is it possible to mark in red (or flash, bell, alert...  :D ) the checked boxes, to better warn the stupid brainless user...

No, but we could bring up a message box that asks you if you have reviewed the template before you apply it.  This would of course need to be a preference because it would annoy a lot of folks.

-Kirk

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 09:47:20 AM »
Indeed, the solution of the message box would be quickly constraining...

Well, I still have to turn my mouse 7 times on the carpet before validating... so as not to cry

;D
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 02:54:25 PM »
Perhaps a better solution already exists for you, though it is a bit hidden. On the Metadata Template window, there is a 'Clear' button, which, by default, clears out all fields on the Template. However, if you hold down the Option or Shift key, this button will change to Options. Clicking on this will bring up a separate window with options for whether it should clear the Field or the Apply checkbox.

So lets say you always use the Caption and Copyright field but are mistakenly applying other fields with the template. Uncheck Caption and Copyright (for both Field and Apply), and then moving forward, you can click the clear button to leave those fields un-cleared while the other fields get cleared. This saves you from having to scan the entire template for fields that you have accidentally checked: You know that once you click 'Clear' it will clear out everything but the fields you have specified.

Does that help?

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 12:11:33 AM »
Hello ahoward,

Thanks for your help...
I don't have this problem when I tag my new photos.
I often forget a field when I reorganize my photo library.
For example, I realize that a field is wrong or forgotten in a batch of photos, I empty the "Metadata Template", I correct and I apply the only forgotten field... and later, as this field is lost in the middle of the others, I forget to empty it and I apply this field involuntarily to other photos...

Well, now I've finished reorganizing my photo library... so, it should be ok...  ;D

Thanks again to all of you...  ;)
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey