Author Topic: PSD file not found in PM6+  (Read 2084 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
PSD file not found in PM6+
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:40:14 AM »
One of my image folders has 700+ files but there's one PSD file that PM6+ isn't seeing. The file opens normally and is found in a finder search. I've tried full and quick syncs but no change. It's not excluded and its folder is included in the syncs. Its derivative JPG files and the other files in that folder all show up as expected.

I'm baffled. Has anyone else seen this or can anyone suggest a fix?

David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PSD file not found in PM6+
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 09:08:56 AM »
David,

One of my image folders has 700+ files but there's one PSD file that PM6+ isn't seeing. The file opens normally and is found in a finder search. I've tried full and quick syncs but no change. It's not excluded and its folder is included in the syncs. Its derivative JPG files and the other files in that folder all show up as expected.

If you browse that folder directly, does the PSD file show up correctly?

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 02:52:34 AM »
Hi Kirk - yes, the file does show and open as normal in the Finder.

I've also found a similar anomaly with a new large layered P'shop file showing only as a generic icon and as being  512 x 341 pixels when it is actually 6988 × 4712. Finder shows the file as 724 MB but PM6+ shows it as 691 MB though size anomalies seem fairly common and may not signify anything. A catalog sync doesn't change this. I've attached a screenshot.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
David,

Hi Kirk - yes, the file does show and open as normal in the Finder.

I'm asking whether the file shows up properly in Photo Mechanic Plus when you view the folder containing the image as a contact sheet.

I've also found a similar anomaly with a new large layered P'shop file showing only as a generic icon and as being  512 x 341 pixels when it is actually 6988 × 4712. Finder shows the file as 724 MB but PM6+ shows it as 691 MB though size anomalies seem fairly common and may not signify anything. A catalog sync doesn't change this. I've attached a screenshot.

Have you saved these PSD files with "Maximize Compatibility" turned on?  If that's not on when saving the file then there will be no preview and PM can't render PSD files without the preview present.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
David,

Finder shows the file as 724 MB but PM6+ shows it as 691 MB though size anomalies seem fairly common and may not signify anything. A catalog sync doesn't change this. I've attached a screenshot.

If the file has resources (a resource fork) and it is sizable then the file sizes will be different.  PM no longer calculates sizes of resource forks.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 01:05:49 AM »
I'm asking whether the file shows up properly in Photo Mechanic Plus when you view the folder containing the image as a contact sheet.

I hadn't looked but now that I do - it doesn't appear at all in the contact sheet. The folder has 16 items but the contact sheet finds only 15.

Have you saved these PSD files with "Maximize Compatibility" turned on?  If that's not on when saving the file then there will be no preview and PM can't render PSD files without the preview present.

Maximise compatibility is set to 'always' in the preferences.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
David,

At this point, I'll need a sample PSD image that doesn't show up in PM.  Please share one with me.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 10:30:26 AM »
Hi Kirk

I went to find the file to send you and noticed that it did not have the PSD extension, just the base filename. After adding the extension and a 'quick sync' it shows up correctly so that was the problem.

My other systems don't need an extension - is one essential for PM6+?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »
David,

I went to find the file to send you and noticed that it did not have the PSD extension, just the base filename. After adding the extension and a 'quick sync' it shows up correctly so that was the problem.

My other systems don't need an extension - is one essential for PM6+?

Yes.