Author Topic: General PM sluggishness  (Read 7857 times)

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
General PM sluggishness
« on: May 01, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
hey Kirk,

the new version is great, but as I'm putting it through it's paces I find the program tends to slow down the more images I viewed... I assume it has to do with the cache getting too filled up. The current remedy for me is to quit (and quite often I have to force quit) and restart the program.

I work on a Macpro and my images are mostly on an Xserve Raid.

Christian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: General PM sluggishness
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:04:12 PM »
Christian,

the new version is great, but as I'm putting it through it's paces I find the program tends to slow down the more images I viewed... I assume it has to do with the cache getting too filled up. The current remedy for me is to quit (and quite often I have to force quit) and restart the program.

I work on a Macpro and my images are mostly on an Xserve Raid.

What kind of images are you viewing?

-Kirk

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »
CR2's and jpg's processed from them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »
CR2's and jpg's processed from them.

I haven't had any slowdowns with my CR2s and JPEGs, but if it happens again, run Activity Monitor (it's in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder) and see if you're running out of memory and look and how much memory PM is using.  Please report your findings.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 03:50:46 AM »
I'm not at my main computer right now, but I will try to do that. I should also mention that I view thousands of images, and when initially sorting them they're all in one folder. What would be the optimal memory settings on a Macpro that has 5GB of ram and how large should the disk cache be when I have a seperate drive?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:29:53 AM »
I'm not at my main computer right now, but I will try to do that. I should also mention that I view thousands of images, and when initially sorting them they're all in one folder. What would be the optimal memory settings on a Macpro that has 5GB of ram and how large should the disk cache be when I have a seperate drive?

You could set the Memory Cache to something like 1500 MB if you like.  You can make the disk cache as large as you like, but make sure that wherever you put the Disk Cache, you make sure tell Spotlight *not* to index it, or you will definitely get a speed penalty. The default Disk Cache location that we provide is not indexed by Spotlight, but if you choose a different location, then you should open up the Spotlight control panel in the System Preferences and click on the Privacy tab, and then add that folder to the list of locations that Spotlight won't process.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 12:38:54 PM »
this could be it! I'll make those changes and report back...

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:17:26 PM »
O.k. after working on it a bit, it works a lot faster. Photoshop too, since I used the same drive as a scratch disc.

However, PM still crashed after a moving a few hundred files.

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 08:03:28 AM »
Juist edited a job with 500+ images and deleted 250 of them. The delete took several minutes. In previous versions of PM the delete was instantaneous.

The files were CR2's and the drive is networked, full gigabit to an Xserve with and Xraid.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
Juist edited a job with 500+ images and deleted 250 of them. The delete took several minutes. In previous versions of PM the delete was instantaneous.

The files were CR2's and the drive is networked, full gigabit to an Xserve with and Xraid.

Could it be that you're telling PM to move your photos to trash instead of deleting immediately?
Check the Preferences->Files tab.

-Kirk

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:11:36 AM »
That's corect - I had that box checked. I tested it again deleting a similar number of files and it was almost instantaneous.

Would it be possible to have a post about setting up PM for server specific workflows and perhaps have a little warning to turn Spotlight off when setting the folder outside the designated one.