Author Topic: Applying Metadata (IPTC) Template Error  (Read 1902 times)

Offline JT701

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Applying Metadata (IPTC) Template Error
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »
Hi There,

When I load my saved XMP file, it has all my coding working and loads fine. but when I try to apply this template to the selected images, it strips out the code

when loaded it looks like this:-

{copyright} {iptcday}/{iptcmonth}/{iptcyear2}
{headline} - {object}
{suppcat1} and {suppcat2} during todays game at {location}, {city}
Photo by Kirth Ferris/Pacemaker Press

But when Applied to the selected images it looks like this:-

Pacemaker Belfast 28/9/21
 -
 and  during todays game at ,
Photo by Kirth Ferris/Pacemaker Press

Any ideas how to fix this?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Applying Metadata (IPTC) Template Error
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
Well, these fields {headline} {object} {suppcat1} and {suppcat2} {location}, {city} are empty, so it makes sense to me that the variables for them are inserting nothing.

To fix that you would have to have some data in those fields.  Or, am I misunderstanding your question?

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline JT701

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 12:14:23 PM »
Hi Mick, Its empty became there is different players in each pic, so by right that code should copy across and all I have to do is add those fields.  but the code is not copying

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
When you are applying that metadata template to some images, it evaluates each variable at the time you are applying the template so if those source fields are empty, that is what gets written into the metadata for that image.  Some options for you that I might suggest:

Option A) Don't apply this metadata template until all the other source fields that you are going to be entering data into are filled in  (Possibly the most efficient option)

Option B) If you uncheck the checkbox next to a field, it will not evaluate the variables in that field.  You can then re-apply the template at a later time, checking the box if you know the data from the source field has been filled in (and possibly unchecking the box for other fields you don't want to be overwritten)

Option C) Create a few different template "snapshots" (presets) for each step of your workflow, i.e one to apply copyright, and a different one to apply location data once that has been added.

Does that make sense?

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits