Author Topic: "Getting metadata for 0 of n selected items" freezes PM6+  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Getting metadata for 0 of n selected items" freezes PM6+
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 02:41:55 PM »
David,

I think I have a fix that is going to work well.  I will get you a build soon that you can use to verify that the problem is solved.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 06:33:51 AM »
Hi Kirk

I've also - sometimes but not consistently - had the same hang when just selecting a single item in a sub-collection sorted by arrangement and when adding some files from a search window to a collection sorted by filename.

Other inconsistent anomalous behaviour:

2 windows. One has a collection sorted by filename the other a search result for multiple filenames. i select a few in the search and ctrl click-> add to collection. I briefly see the collection count incremented but then the window reverts to the parent collection. I can select the sub-collection OK and all seems OK after this.

I move a file in a sub-collection to a new place in the arrangement and all the images become grey squares. This persists, I try other collections and eventually (2 or 3 minutes) images reappear. This may just be because of the passage of time, not my random clicking of other selections.

I have a contact sheet of images from a search for multiple filenames. I choose to show selected or tagged and this takes 2 or 3 minutes.

I've left the logging turned on but have had to force quit multiple times so I have no idea if the log will be of help but I've attached it here anyway.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 06:58:03 AM »
David,

I've also - sometimes but not consistently - had the same hang when just selecting a single item in a sub-collection sorted by arrangement and when adding some files from a search window to a collection sorted by filename.

Other inconsistent anomalous behaviour:

2 windows. One has a collection sorted by filename the other a search result for multiple filenames. i select a few in the search and ctrl click-> add to collection. I briefly see the collection count incremented but then the window reverts to the parent collection. I can select the sub-collection OK and all seems OK after this.

I move a file in a sub-collection to a new place in the arrangement and all the images become grey squares. This persists, I try other collections and eventually (2 or 3 minutes) images reappear. This may just be because of the passage of time, not my random clicking of other selections.

I have a contact sheet of images from a search for multiple filenames. I choose to show selected or tagged and this takes 2 or 3 minutes.

I've left the logging turned on but have had to force quit multiple times so I have no idea if the log will be of help but I've attached it here anyway.

OK.  I think it would be worthwhile to get you a new experimental build to see if solving the hanging problem also solves these problems.  Would you be willing to try the experimental build and see if it fixes your hanging issue?

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 08:59:36 AM »
Yes, I'll be happy to give it a go.

Do I need to run it on a copy of my catalog on another drive for safety or should I be able to just update and run?

David

Offline guang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
hi Kirk and David
this sounds exactly like the problem I was having a few weeks back!  I had given up, but Kirk, would your fix possibly work for me?

thank you for starting this thread, David.

best
Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
David and Mark,

Here is the experimental build that I spoke of earlier.

macOS:
https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR6140_5a7e8298.dmg

Windows:
https://www.camerabits.com/download/PMPlusSetupR6140_5a7e8298.msi

While I expect it to do no harm, this build has not undergone any of our usual internal testing.  Backing up your catalog(s) before using it would be prudent.  If you open your catalog folders, you can backup just the 'catalog.pmdb' and 'catalog_undo.pmdb' files.  Make sure you have quit Photo Mechanic Plus before you backup your pmdb files.  Then you can use the experimental build.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:31:48 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 11:42:49 PM »
Hi Kirk

David,

Good news.  Now that I understand what leads to the problem (Removing an item from a Collection while in Arrangement sort mode), I am able to reproduce the problem locally.

I am now investigating and I'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you!

The continual force quits & relaunches break up my workflow & lose me a lot of time but if this was an easy problem to fix then I expect it would have been done by now. Can you give me a rough idea as to when you expect to be able to get a new build out to test?

Thanks
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
David,

Good news.  Now that I understand what leads to the problem (Removing an item from a Collection while in Arrangement sort mode), I am able to reproduce the problem locally.

I am now investigating and I'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

The continual force quits & relaunches break up my workflow & lose me a lot of time but if this was an easy problem to fix then I expect it would have been done by now. Can you give me a rough idea as to when you expect to be able to get a new build out to test?

I'm not sure how you've missed it.  I posted links in my last post on this thread.  Here they are again:

Here is the experimental build that I spoke of earlier.

macOS:
https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR6140_5a7e8298.dmg

Windows:
https://www.camerabits.com/download/PMPlusSetupR6140_5a7e8298.msi

Just click on the appropriate one and install it.  You may want to back up your catalog(s) please see my above post for more details.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 07:33:52 AM »
Thanks Kirk - apologies, I could miss a gorilla in my kitchen...

I'll back up and give it a try now.

Thanks
David

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 08:14:04 AM »
I've given it 10 minutes of adding & removing from collections & all seems good. Much relief!

Many thanks
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »
David,

Thanks Kirk - apologies, I could miss a gorilla in my kitchen...

;)  I shared this comment with my wife and daughter and they were very amused.

I've given it 10 minutes of adding & removing from collections & all seems good. Much relief!

Excellent!  That's good to hear.  I could no longer reproduce the issue and I was hoping you wouldn't be able to either.

Thanks for testing and your patience.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 09:22:50 AM »
BTW - I appreciate the graceful way the PM+ generally fails. I must have had to force quit more than 50 times over the last week or so and on every occasion the changes I'd made were retained and the catalog was undamaged.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
David,

BTW - I appreciate the graceful way the PM+ generally fails. I must have had to force quit more than 50 times over the last week or so and on every occasion the changes I'd made were retained and the catalog was undamaged.

Fortunately, the database had already been updated completely before the hang would occur.

-Kirk