Author Topic: Duplicate images on Ingest  (Read 2001 times)

Offline s0uthpaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Duplicate images on Ingest
« on: October 03, 2021, 02:22:49 PM »
I've had a recurring problem with images being re-ingested. I run Photo Mechanic on Windows. I have two cameras, each with an SD card. Depending on my shooting, I alternate the SD cards for Ingest. When I do this, I get duplicates following an Ingest, where previously imported images are re-ingested. This is really messing up my workflow. I have the "Incremental Ingest" box ticked. Any suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Duplicate images on Ingest
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 08:51:52 PM »
I've had a recurring problem with images being re-ingested. I run Photo Mechanic on Windows. I have two cameras, each with an SD card. Depending on my shooting, I alternate the SD cards for Ingest. When I do this, I get duplicates following an Ingest, where previously imported images are re-ingested. This is really messing up my workflow. I have the "Incremental Ingest" box ticked. Any suggestions?

Incremental Ingest won't solve that issue if there are two cards that both have the same images.  The incremental ingest data that tracks what has been copied is per-card.

I don't have a solution for you if two different cards have the same images on them.

Does one card have images that the other card doesn't have?

-Kirk

Offline s0uthpaw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 11:54:55 PM »
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The two SD cards do not have the same images. They also do not have the same filenames. I ingest from one card, which works fine. I then ingest from the second card, which works fine. The SD cards both end up being mounted as the same drive (d:\)

Next day, when I ingest another set of images, there is a significant likelihood that the images from the day before will be ingested again, as duplicates.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The two SD cards do not have the same images. They also do not have the same filenames. I ingest from one card, which works fine. I then ingest from the second card, which works fine. The SD cards both end up being mounted as the same drive (d:\)

Next day, when I ingest another set of images, there is a significant likelihood that the images from the day before will be ingested again, as duplicates.

OK.  Good to know.

Are your cards write-protected when you ingest them?  PM has to be able to write a file to the card (it's used to identify the card for later ingests) or Incremental Ingest won't work.

-Kirk