Author Topic: GPS info not being seen in Smugmug  (Read 1145 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
GPS info not being seen in Smugmug
« on: October 03, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
I added GPS info into a jpg file in Photo Mechanic Plus and then used the PM Smugmug uploader to send it to my Smugmug account, but Smugmug isn't seeing the GPS info.  I did a Get Info on the file in Finder and sure enough the GPS info is there, I can see it on the map in both PM and ON1 but for some reason it's not seeing the gps info when it gets uploaded to Smugmug
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS info not being seen in Smugmug
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 08:53:54 PM »
Ron,

Have you contacted Smugmug about the issue?  They might know why their system isn't recognizing the GPS data.

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 05:54:54 AM »
I guess that’s the next step, what’s strange is that if I use your uploader or Smugmug’s uploader the GPS info isn’t seen, but I upload from ON1’s uploader it sees the GPS, not sure what’s up with that. Not that big of a deal cause I can see it on the map in PM* just wondering what’s happening. Guess I ask Smugmug
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 03:58:59 PM »
Ok I got it to work, it depends on when I set the GPS info on the photo, what I did in this gallery was ingested the photos with PM, I then edited some of the photos in ON1 Photo Raw 2022 and saved the file as a jpg with the original name back to the same folder so I could pair up the Raw and Jpg, btw the raw files are NEF files from a Z 7II.  I then decided I wanted to add GPS info in PM to the RAW + Jpg pair. After I added the gps info I checked to make sure the gps info was added to both the RAW file and JPG file, it was and I could view it on a map in both PM+ and ON1. Next I uploaded the file to Smugmug with the PM+ uploader and for some reason it wouldn't see the GPS information.  So then I decided to see what would happen if I changed the workflow and I first set the GPS info on the Raw NEF files before I did the edit in ON1.  After the GPS info was added in PM+ to the Raw files I then edited them in ON1 and saved the JPG back to the original directory like I did before and then from PM I again uploaded to Smugmug and the GPS info was seen by Smugmug. So in short to get the GPS info seen by Smugmug I first have to add the GPS to the Raw files before doing any editing, If I add the GPS after editing to the RAW + Jpg  pair and upload to Smugmug it doesn't see the GPS info even though both PM and ON1 see it and display it on the map.
My Blog - Ron's Blog