Author Topic: Star ratings going from Capture One to PM  (Read 2369 times)

Offline DaveG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star ratings going from Capture One to PM
« on: October 08, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
I ingest Canon raw images using PM. They are renamed and a general caption/copyright and stuff are added to the metadata during injestation. During culling I rate the good-so-far images with one star. I copy all of the one stars into another folder and then open them in Capture One 21.4 so that C1 only has to look at a limited number of images.  In Capture One I process the images with additional culling as I go along.  The best ones get a five star rating. 

What I would like to do next is to send the five star raw files back into PM, in order to add individual captions.  I figure that if I change my workflow so that I'm only captioning.cr2 files then I can have confidence that the full captioning will survive any output type I may create (eg:large jpgs,  psd files or whatever) as the captioning will always be there.

My problem is that the five star rating that I assign the best images in Capture One does not survive its trip back to PM. As far as PM is concerned everything is still a one star.  Now I don't now if this is a Capture One or Photo Mechanic problem, but can anyone help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star ratings going from Capture One to PM
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
Dave,

I ingest Canon raw images using PM. They are renamed and a general caption/copyright and stuff are added to the metadata during injestation. During culling I rate the good-so-far images with one star. I copy all of the one stars into another folder and then open them in Capture One 21.4 so that C1 only has to look at a limited number of images.  In Capture One I process the images with additional culling as I go along.  The best ones get a five star rating. 

What I would like to do next is to send the five star raw files back into PM, in order to add individual captions.  I figure that if I change my workflow so that I'm only captioning.cr2 files then I can have confidence that the full captioning will survive any output type I may create (eg:large jpgs,  psd files or whatever) as the captioning will always be there.

My problem is that the five star rating that I assign the best images in Capture One does not survive its trip back to PM. As far as PM is concerned everything is still a one star.  Now I don't now if this is a Capture One or Photo Mechanic problem, but can anyone help?

Are you using XMP sidecar files with your Canon CR2 RAW files?  After you set the image to five stars in C1, has the XMP sidecar file been updated (check the modification time) ?

If C1 isn't updating the XMP sidecar file with the new rating, then PM isn't going to see it.

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Star ratings going from Capture One to PM
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:10:27 AM »
Capture one properly updates the XMP sidecar file with the following settings for me