Author Topic: Moving files is seriously slow in PM6+  (Read 1603 times)

Offline emilvm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Moving files is seriously slow in PM6+
« on: October 11, 2021, 03:15:03 AM »
I have a question for the group at large, as I am fairly sure this is a user error on my part.

I use PM for the bulk of my editing, and am slowly getting comfortable with the catalogue system as well.

I am currently moving files from one folder into another as part of a client delivery workflow. PM seems to be ridiculously slow now. As an example, in the standard browser mode (not Catalogue) I selected 14 jpg files and dragged them into a different subfolder within the same master folder (on a FireWire external drive). immediately after 'dropping them into the repository folder' the Mac 'Beachball of Death started rotating. After 30sec the progress block popped up, it disappeared at 50 sec and the beachball reappeared until after a full 68 sec (00:01:08) I was able to do any further work in PM.

I am working on a 3,7 Ghz Mac Pro (Trash Can), with 64Gb RAM with the latest stable version of PM6+ ... I'm sure this has something to do with my settings, but over a minute to move 14 files that are about 26MB in total is just not workable.

Thanks in advance everyone.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:48:40 AM by emilvm »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Moving files is seriously slow in PM6+
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:04:35 AM »
I am currently moving files from one folder into another as part of a client delivery workflow. PM seems to be ridiculously slow now. As an example, in the standard browser mode (not Catalogue) I selected 14 jpg files and dragged them into a different subfolder within the same master folder (on a FireWire external drive). immediately after 'dropping them into the repository folder' the Mac 'Beachball of Death started rotating. After 30sec the progress block popped up, it disappeared at 50 sec and the beachball reappeared until after a full 68 sec (00:01:08) I was able to do any further work in PM.

Are the images in question in a catalog?  Or are they not yet added to a catalog?  If they're in a catalog, were there any tasks going on in the catalog system prior to the move?

-Kirk

Offline inkaman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
I am having the same issue on 6.0, build 6552 (1b31032).

I am using the "Move photos (delete originals)"

It takes 3m20 to move 1 NEF+JPG to a SSD.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:08:45 AM by inkaman »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 03:27:14 PM »
I am having the same issue on 6.0, build 6552 (1b31032).

I am using the "Move photos (delete originals)"

It takes 3m20 to move 1 NEF+JPG to a SSD.

Was this in a test of 1 pair of images? Was it a test of many images and 3:20 was the average per pair? How is that SSD connected to your computer? If you try a different drive, is it similarly slow? Was there possibly any other disk activity happening at the time that might have been utilizing the disk's bandwidth?