Author Topic: No Images in Contact Sheet for iPhone DNGs from Halide App  (Read 1497 times)

Offline SteveMattan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No Images in Contact Sheet for iPhone DNGs from Halide App
« on: October 12, 2021, 11:27:38 AM »
MacOS 11.6
Photo Mechanic Plus 6.0 build 6097 (85d1687)

As can be seen in the attached screen shot, images are not showing up on the contact sheet for images that do show in the Finder (and which can be edited in Photoshop).

These are DNG images created on an iPhone XS running iOS 14.8 with the Halide camera app (Halide Camera Mark II, version 2.5.0).

I took the images, connected the iPhone to my i7 Mac mini via a lightning cable, and using Image Capture I selected the images and dragged them to a folder on my Mac (called "Camera Card"). I then opened a contact sheet in Photo Mechanic for that folder. And as can be seen no images are shown.

Thanks in advance for any insight into what is going wrong here.

SteveM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: No Images in Contact Sheet for iPhone DNGs from Halide App
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:55:14 AM »
Can you share one of the DNG files with us, please?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SteveMattan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 12:00:15 PM »
Here ya go.

Thanks again.

SteveM

Offline SteveMattan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 06:26:07 AM »
Note that I've also reported this to Lux, the company behind Halide.

Stay well,

SteveM

Online ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »
It seems like Halide's app does not embed a JPEG preview in their DNG files, which is what Photo Mechanic will need in order to show you an image. I tried pretty much every conceivable file that the app would produce, and none had an embedded Preview. Interestingly enough, this article from DPReview mentions that the app does allow for an embedded JPEG:  https://www.dpreview.com/news/4094896855/halide-developers-break-down-the-technology-powering-apple-s-new-proraw-image-format

So maybe I've just got the wrong settings, but I can't figure out what I might be missing. If Lux can tell you how to get Halide to embed a preview in your JPEG files, Photo Mechanic will be able to preview them.

Offline SteveMattan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:08:11 AM »
Thank you for the update and for trying things out.

I'll play with the app and if I figure something out, or if I hear back from Lux, I'll post back here.

Stay well.

SteveM