Author Topic: How to remove photo(s) from specific catalog?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline cameranut

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to remove photo(s) from specific catalog?
« on: October 14, 2021, 01:03:18 PM »
Somehow I have a number of photos associated with two PhotoMechanic Catalogs (let's say A and B)

Is there a way to remove the photos(s) from catalog B but keep them in A?

The only option seems to be to 'remove from catalog' which seems to pick one of the catalogs arbitrarily and then to remove again and then add to a catalog, which seems error prone.

More generally, I'd like to search for all PhotoMechanic photos with no catalog and add them to a specific catalog as well as to be able to find all photos with multiple catalogs and associate with a specific catalog.

Is there any guidance on this? I could not find it.

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687); Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7

thanks

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove photo(s) from specific catalog?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:21:57 PM »
I'm not sure that it is picking arbitrarily, as computers don't really do anything arbitrarily, but I do see why it would seem that way. I created two catalogs and added two images to each one. When I have both catalogs set to "search", PM+ will show an entry on the contact sheet for each catalog that it was added to. So these two pictures result in 4 contact sheet items when "search" is enabled on both catalogs. Uncheck the "add/modify" box of the catalog you would like the image to stay in will accomplish what you are trying to do. In my case, when I attempted to remove an item from a catalog where "add/modify" was unchecked, the contact sheet refreshed but the item stayed in the catalog.

More generally, I'd like to search for all PhotoMechanic photos with no catalog and add them to a specific catalog as well as to be able to find all photos with multiple catalogs and associate with a specific catalog.

Photo Mechanic photos with no catalog are just files on your computer. Photo Mechanic does not keep an index of these files, so there would really be no way to search for them. I suppose one way to implement this would be to add the ability to select items on a contact sheet that are not in a catalog (gray dot as opposed to yellow or green). Kirk is out on vacation for a bit but I can check with him when he's back to see if this is something that could be added.

Offline cameranut

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove photo(s) from specific catalog?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 08:40:39 AM »
Thank you very much for clarifying this for me and in such a timely manner. I really appreciate it.

My mental model was that I would right click on the photo and then choose which catalog to remove, which was the wrong model.

Now I understand, you select the catalog in the upper left using the checkbox and then the operation applies to that catalog. So to remove from catalog A, if in both A and B, you use the modify checkbox for only A, and then remove.

Thank you very much, worked like a charm.