Author Topic: IPTC date info in Metadata templates applying today's date not capture date  (Read 1045 times)

Offline cblane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am new to Photo Mechanic so there may be a setting I am missing. I creates a Metadata template that uses {iptcyear4}, {iptcmonthname}, and {iptcday0}.  I used it with some files captured in 2017.  The first several times I used it, the photos I applied it to showed the correct capture date, e.g. 2017, March 15.
However now when I apply the same template to photos it shows todays date instead of the capture date.  So, for the example above it now shows 2021, October, 28.  Which, by the way, is not correct for today's date since it is actually October 29, here in Japan.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a bug?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I am new to Photo Mechanic so there may be a setting I am missing. I creates a Metadata template that uses {iptcyear4}, {iptcmonthname}, and {iptcday0}.  I used it with some files captured in 2017.  The first several times I used it, the photos I applied it to showed the correct capture date, e.g. 2017, March 15.
However now when I apply the same template to photos it shows todays date instead of the capture date.  So, for the example above it now shows 2021, October, 28.  Which, by the way, is not correct for today's date since it is actually October 29, here in Japan.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a bug?

Are you also applying the Date field in the Metadata (IPTC) Template?  If so, the date will be applied and then the variables will be evaluated.  If the date you're applying is "Today" then you'll get today's date.  Or if you're applying a specific date then that will be applied.

If you're unsure, please post a JPEG screenshot showing the Date field in the Metadata (IPTC) Template along with the field that you're applying the IPTC date variables into.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk