Photo Mechanic Plus > Support

Closed: Same files twice in catalog

(1/3) > >>

Hayo Baan:
In my catalog I have images appearing twice. Looking at the ones that are duplicated, it appears they are the ones that have special characters in their path (e.g. ô, é, etc.). I noticed this since the count from syncing the catalog and the count shown when browsing the catalog didn't match. I'm sure this has to do with UTF-8 character normalization where e.g. accented characters can be written using different code point sequences and this might have changed over time (the catalog exists since almost the beginning of PM Plus).

Now to find a way to get rid of the duplicates (they are all over the place); syncing didn't work (not even a full sync)…

Hayo Baan:
Update1: as an experiment I removed the “first”, “second” and both copies of some duplicated items from the catalog and then did a full sync. Lo and behold: the duplicate items returned for each of these trials :(

Update2: as a further experiment, I scanned a folder with duplicates in it to a new catalog. At first scan, images weren't duplicated and when I then did a full sync, they weren't either. So the issue must be related to an “old” scan to catalog.

For the record: I am quite positive I might have switched the file system on which the duplicated files reside from Mac OS X extended to APFS so that might have introduced a filename encoding change. I'll see if I can verify if that's the case.
Update: no, even on a very old backup do the accents in the file name show up similarly. Hmm, it is of course possible that an OS update changed the normalization, so we still can't rule out the encoding…

Hayo Baan:
Kirk et al, no ideas how I can fix this (short of rebuilding the whole catalog)?

Kirk Baker:
Hayo,

--- Quote from: Hayo Baan on November 11, 2021, 12:52:40 PM ---Kirk et al, no ideas how I can fix this (short of rebuilding the whole catalog)?

--- End quote ---

I wonder if you force a "Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog" maintenance operation if that would correct the problem?  Give that a try.

-Kirk

Kirk Baker:
Hayo,

Alternatively, you could remove everything and then do a Full Sync and it should add them all back in.  If it still gets duplicates then I want to get to the bottom of that, ASAP.

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version