Author Topic: PM | incorrect display of images (possibly related to alpha channels?)  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Jerry and Lois Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi all.

I reported a bug much earlier in the year (2021-04-21) in which PM doesn't display some of my TIF files properly (2 examples attached).  Both the full preview as well as the thumbs are badly hosed.

I eventually had to revert to an older version that worked.  During the investigation, the engineer/TS person was able to repro the same behavior, but I don't think the issue ever got resolved.  Unfortunately, I did not take the squeaky wheel approach as I had critical deadlines to meet.

I finally decided to upgrade to the current version, only to discover the same issue still exists. 

I'd prefer to not have to revert back (again) to version 5529, which worked correctly.

Hoping someone can sort this out.  Soon, please...

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM | incorrect display of images (possibly related to alpha channels?)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 07:25:39 AM »
Please provide the actual TIFF image so that I can see why PM isn't decoding it correctly.

Thanks,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 11:26:27 AM »
Hi Kirk -

I have a set of these up on a private Dropbox share.  There are files from last March/April and from now.

Do you have an email address I can send credentials to so you can download these (don't want the whole world accessing).

Thank you,

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »
Jerry,

I was able to find and fix the problem.  Thank you for the sample images.  The fix will appear in the next build of Photo Mechanic/Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
Glad to hear that, Kirk - and glad to see it was a fairly simple/and/or easy fix.

Any idea how long before the next build will have the fix?

I'm also curious - was there anything unusual in my sample files relative to other images with alpha channels? I'm not doing anything particularly bizarre or fringy in how my workflow goes.  Just wondering why others aren't seeing the same behavior...

Thank you again
Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »
Jerry,

Glad to hear that, Kirk - and glad to see it was a fairly simple/and/or easy fix.

Any idea how long before the next build will have the fix?

Hopefully not long.

I'm also curious - was there anything unusual in my sample files relative to other images with alpha channels? I'm not doing anything particularly bizarre or fringy in how my workflow goes.  Just wondering why others aren't seeing the same behavior...

Your images have five channels of image data.  Four was all I had ever tested with (RGBA).

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 04:26:36 PM »
Hmmm -

I guess what I still don't understand...  Anytime someone saves a selection in PS, that creates a channel.  Some of my images may have as many as 15 different selections/channels, especially with complex product shots.  So my question is really - why aren't other folks' images showing the same issues?  Saving selections is pretty fundamental...  And is there an upper limit on the number of channels PM can handle, once the new fix is in place?

thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
Jerry,

I guess what I still don't understand...  Anytime someone saves a selection in PS, that creates a channel.  Some of my images may have as many as 15 different selections/channels, especially with complex product shots.  So my question is really - why aren't other folks' images showing the same issues?  Saving selections is pretty fundamental...  And is there an upper limit on the number of channels PM can handle, once the new fix is in place?

There should be no limit, no.  The extra data will be ignored.

-Kirk