Author Topic: .dng files from DxO PhotoLab 4 are tagged as sRGB in PhotoMechanic  (Read 1882 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
I noticed yesterday that all the .dng files exported from DxO PhotoLab 4 show in PM as having the sRGB profile. At first I assumed this was a problem with DxO, but now I'm wondering if this is a display error by PM? I am exporting the .dng files for further editing in CaptureOne. I'm thinking/hoping that DxO isn't actually exporting them in the sRGB color space. Of course, my camera is set for Adobe RGB. CaptureOne treats the .dng files as Raw and shows my camera's profile (Canon R5) so I can't see any sign of the RAW files color space. However, I just opened a file in Camera Raw and it shows the Adobe RGB profile. This would seem to support this being an error by PM.

Is this an error by PM and can it be fixed?

Thank you,
Ric Cohn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: .dng files from DxO PhotoLab 4 are tagged as sRGB in PhotoMechanic
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »
Ric,

I noticed yesterday that all the .dng files exported from DxO PhotoLab 4 show in PM as having the sRGB profile. At first I assumed this was a problem with DxO, but now I'm wondering if this is a display error by PM? I am exporting the .dng files for further editing in CaptureOne. I'm thinking/hoping that DxO isn't actually exporting them in the sRGB color space. Of course, my camera is set for Adobe RGB. CaptureOne treats the .dng files as Raw and shows my camera's profile (Canon R5) so I can't see any sign of the RAW files color space. However, I just opened a file in Camera Raw and it shows the Adobe RGB profile. This would seem to support this being an error by PM.

Is this an error by PM and can it be fixed?

Possibly.  Can you share one of the DNG files with me?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Absolutely. They are large. I can send it with WeTransfer. I'll use forums@camerabits.com unless that no longer works.

Thanks as always!

Ric Cohn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 05:12:10 PM »
Ric,

Thanks for the sample file.  Photo Mechanic is using the JPEG preview from the DNG file and the preview's profile is sRGB.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 05:35:31 PM »
That's interesting. Don't know why the JPEG preview would be sRGB. Camera Raw must look at information different from the JPEG preview to say the DNGs are in Adobe RGB. Doesn't seem DxO should using previews in a different color space. Anything you can do so it displays the color space of the actual DNG?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »
Ric,

That's interesting. Don't know why the JPEG preview would be sRGB. Camera Raw must look at information different from the JPEG preview to say the DNGs are in Adobe RGB. Doesn't seem DxO should using previews in a different color space. Anything you can do so it displays the color space of the actual DNG?

Photo Mechanic isn't showing you the rendered DNG.  It is showing you the JPEG preview and it is in sRGB.  The {icc} variable in this case corresponds to what is being displayed (thumbnails, preview, slideshow, printing, etc.)

I'm sure it's possible to get the ICC profile for what would be the rendered DNG.  I'll bring up the idea of making the profile be the DNG's profile rather than the profile of the DNG's JPEG preview with the rest of the team.

-Kirk