Author Topic: Shuttercount - act variable  (Read 1666 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Shuttercount - act variable
« on: November 06, 2021, 07:45:43 AM »
While ingesting my memory cards I am having all pictures renamed. My rename string incorporates the actuation {act} variable.  This works perfectly with Nikon files but not with jpgs or dngs from my newly acquired Ricoh GR III.

Using Exiftool I checked files from either cameras and both use the same "shuttercount" tag to record total actuations of the cameras.

Any idea why the {act} variable is working fine for Nikon files but not with Ricoh pictures?

Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Shuttercount - act variable
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:05:40 AM »
Oliver,

While ingesting my memory cards I am having all pictures renamed. My rename string incorporates the actuation {act} variable.  This works perfectly with Nikon files but not with jpgs or dngs from my newly acquired Ricoh GR III.

Using Exiftool I checked files from either cameras and both use the same "shuttercount" tag to record total actuations of the cameras.

Any idea why the {act} variable is working fine for Nikon files but not with Ricoh pictures?

There is no specific support for Ricoh cameras in Photo Mechanic at this time.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
Thank you, Kirk. I was expecting this variable just recalling a certain EXIF tag and did not expect it to be camera specific since both cameras seem to use the same tag name.

Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
Oliver,

Thank you, Kirk. I was expecting this variable just recalling a certain EXIF tag and did not expect it to be camera specific since both cameras seem to use the same tag name.

That data is usually found in proprietary "Maker Note" data that has to be reverse-engineered.  Photo Mechanic does not currently contain Ricoh Maker Note handling.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 09:13:31 AM »
Thank you for explaining, Kirk.

Oliver