Author Topic: RAF Files rotate upon opening contact sheet  (Read 1955 times)

Offline JoopPlaisier

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAF Files rotate upon opening contact sheet
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:10:48 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) on a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Upon opening a contact sheet in PM and/or PM Plus, one by one landscape photos are being rotated counter clockwise and displayed in portrait. It only happens to Fuji S2Pro .RAF files. Is this a known bug ?

Thanks Joop

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAF Files rotate upon opening contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:06:47 AM »
Joop,

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) on a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Upon opening a contact sheet in PM and/or PM Plus, one by one landscape photos are being rotated counter clockwise and displayed in portrait. It only happens to Fuji S2Pro .RAF files. Is this a known bug ?

Unknown until now.  Can you share one of your images that exhibits this behavior, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your Fuji S2Pro RAF example file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JoopPlaisier

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 11:08:57 AM »
Kirk, Please find a sample RAF file attached. Today, upon opening the folder PM rotated the RAF files back to their original landscape position..... For your reference I have also attached a screenshot of the contact sheet with the rotated RAF files. AI hope you can trace what is causing this behavior. As always, many thanks for your great support.

Offline JoopPlaisier

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 11:12:19 AM »
This time with the RAF sample file

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »
Joop,

This time with the RAF sample file

Thank you for the files.  The image you sent me has an EXIF Orientation value of 6.  This indicates that the image should be displayed as rotated 90ยบ clockwise.  So Photo Mechanic is showing the image rotated.

How did your images get that orientation value?

-Kirk

Offline JoopPlaisier

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
Hi Kirk, It is a complete mystery to me. In order to enable you to do some more troubleshooting I have opened a fresh contact sheet with RAF files. Upon opening the RAF files start rotating one by one, I quickly made a screenshot of the images as displayed at the moment of opening the contact sheet and subsequently I took a screenshot once the automatic rotation was completed. All I did was opening a folder in a contact sheet. I did not touch anything..... I have attached another RAF file which I did not touch other than copying it from the source folder. I hope this helps in finding the source of the problem. Kirk, as always many thanks for your fantastic support ! Best regards Joop

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
Joop,

Hi Kirk, It is a complete mystery to me. In order to enable you to do some more troubleshooting I have opened a fresh contact sheet with RAF files. Upon opening the RAF files start rotating one by one, I quickly made a screenshot of the images as displayed at the moment of opening the contact sheet and subsequently I took a screenshot once the automatic rotation was completed. All I did was opening a folder in a contact sheet. I did not touch anything..... I have attached another RAF file which I did not touch other than copying it from the source folder. I hope this helps in finding the source of the problem. Kirk, as always many thanks for your fantastic support ! Best regards Joop

How about sharing an image shot from your camera that no application of any kind has touched?  If the image has an orientation tag at that point that indicates that it should be rotated, then there will be nothing I can do about the issue.  You'll just have to select them all and un-rotate them.

-Kirk