Author Topic: Cannot Drag Images From PM in Windows 11  (Read 2307 times)

Offline AdamGee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cannot Drag Images From PM in Windows 11
« on: November 08, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
Hi.

I have been using Photo Mechanic (PM) for some time with Windows 10 and it has worked flawlessly. I have just updated to Windows 11 - not a beta version but the update issued by Microsoft - and now in PM when I try to drag a single, or multiple selected images, I get a red circle with a red diagonal line and images will no longer drag.

I must point out that this is nothing to do with Light Room Classic, the issue is within PM. I can no longer select images and drag them anywhere. If I do attempt to drag to LRC the PM crashes.

I have attached an image showing the red icon mentioned above and welcome any assistance in getting this issue resolved.

The images were shot in JPEG+ using various Nikon cameras - probably a D7500 of the moon shots.

Bob from PM emailed me back a while ago advising:

"I was able to get it to work once I set LRC to have the Import photos and video module opened before I switched back to Photo Mechanic. ( This is a LRC File menu option or you can use the Control-Shift-I shortcut). Now select the files on Photo Mechanic's Contact Sheet. Click and drag them into LRC's main window. You should see a + as part of the mouse pointer. Let go of the mouse and now LRC should switch to the front app and have the same files checked for importing."

The trouble is that I cannot drag from PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cannot Drag Images From PM in Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
Adam,

What build of Photo Mechanic 6 are you running?

-Kirk

Offline AdamGee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 03:52:16 AM »
Hi, thanks for replying. I am using PM 6 build 6097 (85d1687)

Offline AdamGee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 05:17:33 AM »
I may have found a workaround for this issue.

In PM, after culling, I can then filter to the images I want to put into LRC. I then go to File > Copy/Move Photos .... and make a sub folder on my laptop. I can then import these images into LRC from the laptop.

This is a real faff - the whole idea of PM is to make things more efficient but not being able to select and drag images is maddening.

It is my hope that someone has a better workaround/fix for this - I cannot be the only person experiencing this issue after updating to Windows 11.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 09:04:52 AM »
I may have found a workaround for this issue.

In PM, after culling, I can then filter to the images I want to put into LRC. I then go to File > Copy/Move Photos .... and make a sub folder on my laptop. I can then import these images into LRC from the laptop.

This is a real faff - the whole idea of PM is to make things more efficient but not being able to select and drag images is maddening.

It is my hope that someone has a better workaround/fix for this - I cannot be the only person experiencing this issue after updating to Windows 11.

We'll fix the problem, Adam.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »
Adam,

I have been using Photo Mechanic (PM) for some time with Windows 10 and it has worked flawlessly. I have just updated to Windows 11 - not a beta version but the update issued by Microsoft - and now in PM when I try to drag a single, or multiple selected images, I get a red circle with a red diagonal line and images will no longer drag.

I must point out that this is nothing to do with Light Room Classic, the issue is within PM. I can no longer select images and drag them anywhere. If I do attempt to drag to LRC then PM crashes.

Do you see a window appear (Bug Splat) that allows you to file a crash report?  If you do see it appear, can you please file the crash report, adding your name, email address, and a comment as to what the last thing you were doing prior to the crash ("Dropped images in LRC" would be fine.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline AdamGee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 02:34:38 AM »
Hi Kirk,
There is no crash report - PM just closes.
Thanks for looking into this issue - it is greatly appreciated.
Adam