Author Topic: Adding Textblock  (Read 32222 times)

Offline thuter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adding Textblock
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »
Most of the professional sports-shooters or agencys add a Textblock to the bottom of the pictures.
FotoStation offers the option to add a textblock with logo and free + generated text out of the IPTC Data.

Would be a very nice feature - i could deinstall fotostation :)

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Re: Adding Textblock
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
I'll second that. The watermark feature is a nice addition, but being able to add a textblock would be very useful. Have to do it in Photoshop at the moment, and can only semi-automate it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »
Most of the professional sports-shooters or agencys add a Textblock to the bottom of the pictures.
FotoStation offers the option to add a textblock with logo and free + generated text out of the IPTC Data.

Would be a very nice feature - i could deinstall fotostation :)

Photo Mechanic calls that a watermark.  And while you cannot add a logo as well, you can use any of the over 200 Image Variables to extract and render IPTC and Exif data.

The "Watermark..." button can be found in all of the various output dialogs (Save as, FTP, Send Photos via email, etc.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:16:56 PM »
Hi Kirk

I think what Thuter means is to add a footer onto the image, something along these lines:

Offline thuter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »
"Watermark" writes the information INTO the picture ( like a watermark :) )- thats not what i want.
I want to add a white box (or colour Choosable) at the bottom of the picture and write the information only in that box.

e.g

Offline thuter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 01:20:17 PM »
@gajones

Yes - you're faster :)

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »
@gajones

Yes - you're faster :)

thanks, first time anyone's accused me of that  ;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 02:07:14 PM »
I think what Thuter means is to add a footer onto the image, something along these lines:

OK, I get the picture now. ;)

UI-wise, how would you like to lay things out?  Free-form, where you get some kind of layout editor, or some sort of predefined templates?

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »
OK, I get the picture now. ;)

UI-wise, how would you like to lay things out?  Free-form, where you get some kind of layout editor, or some sort of predefined templates?

Personally all I'd need for the moment would be to have PM resize and 'bolt-on' a JPG or TIFF that I'd already laid out in Photoshop, but I can see the advantages of having a layout editor in PM...

Offline thuter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:07:34 AM »
The feature can be very similar to the already implemented "watermark".

only adding a blank Box (choosable backgrond colour) to the bottom of the pic.
width like the pic, height depending on the content

A choosable external logo path (jpg / gif) (Position right, left, bottom)

And for the text the same freetext, variables + selectable fontsize, fontface, fontcolour as on "watermark"

...but some nice arranged templates are always welcome of course  :)

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »
I like this idea, too.  Hope it can implemented some day soon.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:00:17 PM »

And for the text the same freetext, variables + selectable fontsize, fontface, fontcolour as on "watermark"

OK.  Here is what I could see doing:

You get to choose a logo file (Has to be one of the image types we already support).  The height of the text box will be at least the height of the logo but can be taller (you can specify the height in pixels).  If you want additional dynamic text, then the logo can be on the left or right side, and the text will use the opposite side.  The width of the dynamic text area will be the width of the output image minus the width of the logo.  Background color will be selectable.  Text color and font will be selectable.  Font size will be selectable, though if the dynamic text when rendered would exceed the bounds of the dynamic text area then the font size would be reduced down until it fit or it hit a minimum font size like 8 pt.

I'd guess you all would want this to be available in all of the various output dialogs: Save as, Send Photos as Email, FTP As, Upload to PhotoShelter, HTML Export, but not in the Printing of proofs or contact sheets, right?

To make this as straight-forward as possible I would want image scaling/cropping/sizing to ignore this tacked-on text block.  So if you wanted a 1200x800 pixel image and then you added a 200 pixel text block, then the resulting image would be 1200x1000 pixels.

How does that sound?  And you want it yesterday, right? ;)

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 05:27:30 PM »
you got it! but seriously...I think you nailed all the points.

D
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline thuter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 11:41:51 PM »

OK.  Here is what I could see doing:

You get to choose a logo file (Has to be one of the image types we already support).  The height of the text box will be at least the height of the logo but can be taller (you can specify the height in pixels).  If you want additional dynamic text, then the logo can be on the left or right side, and the text will use the opposite side.  The width of the dynamic text area will be the width of the output image minus the width of the logo.  Background color will be selectable.  Text color and font will be selectable.  Font size will be selectable, though if the dynamic text when rendered would exceed the bounds of the dynamic text area then the font size would be reduced down until it fit or it hit a minimum font size like 8 pt.

I'd guess you all would want this to be available in all of the various output dialogs: Save as, Send Photos as Email, FTP As, Upload to PhotoShelter, HTML Export, but not in the Printing of proofs or contact sheets, right?

To make this as straight-forward as possible I would want image scaling/cropping/sizing to ignore this tacked-on text block.  So if you wanted a 1200x800 pixel image and then you added a 200 pixel text block, then the resulting image would be 1200x1000 pixels.

How does that sound?  And you want it yesterday, right? ;)

-Kirk

You're my master  ;D

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »
Kirk: Now your got it!  Looking forward to adding that to my workflow someday.