Author Topic: Get rid of resource files  (Read 2772 times)

Offline mhedstrom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Get rid of resource files
« on: May 02, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
I downloaded and am trying out Photo Mechanic since I'm looking to move off of Bridge (they don't handle network drives very well).  Anyways I've got all my photos on a networked UNIX drive.

If I use PM (the latest version) to keyword the photos, and then write the keywords back to the original JPGs (I have it set in Preferences to do this), my UNIX drive is now full of Mac resource files.  The keywords are associated with the original files, since I went through and deleted all the resource files and can still see the keywords, so then I'm not sure why they're created at all.

Is there a way to stop having the resource files created when I keyword photos?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Get rid of resource files
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:56:30 AM »
I downloaded and am trying out Photo Mechanic since I'm looking to move off of Bridge (they don't handle network drives very well).  Anyways I've got all my photos on a networked UNIX drive.

If I use PM (the latest version) to keyword the photos, and then write the keywords back to the original JPGs (I have it set in Preferences to do this), my UNIX drive is now full of Mac resource files.  The keywords are associated with the original files, since I went through and deleted all the resource files and can still see the keywords, so then I'm not sure why they're created at all.

Is there a way to stop having the resource files created when I keyword photos?

Try turning off the "Add IPTC-NAA Resource when embedding IPTC" checkbox in the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.   Also make sure you are not having PM create Finder icons by turning off the "Create Finder icons during copy, ingest, or save as" checkbox in the Files tab of the Preferences dialog.

Let me know if that works or not.

-Kirk

Offline mhedstrom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of resource files
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Yup, turning off "Add IPTC-NAA Resource when embedding IPTC" did the trick.  I'm a very very happy camper now.  Thanks!!