Author Topic: IPTC properties for increased accessibility  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Tor Tjeransen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC properties for increased accessibility
« on: November 22, 2021, 07:28:50 AM »
Is there a timeline for when we may expect Photo Mechanic to support the two new IPTC properties?
https://iptc.org/news/iptc-announces-new-properties-in-photo-metadata-to-make-images-more-accessible/

Tor

Offline Bildarchivare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: IPTC properties for increased accessibility
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:32:15 AM »
Dear all, I am also interested in the new accessibility properties in the IPTC Metadata Standard ‚Alternative Text‘ and ‚Extended Description‘ as presented in the latest IPTC photo metadata conference. Do you intend to integrate these properties into the IPTC schema in the long run? Very useful for visually impaired people. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 07:38:34 AM »
Yes, we will support these fields in the future.  I do not have a timeline for their implementation at this time.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
Kirk:

I'm glad to see that Camera Bits is planning to adopt these new properties!

For those who are looking for more info, PetaPixel posted about this soon after the new specification was released. https://petapixel.com/2021/10/27/iptc-updates-metadata-standards-to-help-the-blind-see-photos-online/ and Bill Kasdorf dug more deeply into how this impacts the publishing world at https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/87947-how-publishers-can-get-alt-text-right.html.

I would like to ask Tor and Bildarchivare how they would recommend that Camera Bits place these new properties so that they make the most sense for those of you who are entering metadata. In conversations with other developers, I've suggested that both "Alt Text (Accessibility)" and "Extended Description (Accessibility)" be located near the existing Description (caption) field. The new specification also expands the use of the "Description Writer" field so it can be used to note who had written into any of these three fields. As the current IPTC Info and Metadata Template dialogs have Description/Caption in the upper-left corner, with the Description Writers field immediately below, would you like to see these new properties appear in between these two fields?

Yours,
David Riecks (for transparency, note that I am currently "Co-lead" of the IPTC Photo Metadata Working Group).

Offline Bildarchivare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 07:27:47 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to follow this conversation. Yes, concerning the placing of these new properties Bildarchivare follows Kirk' s suggestion, the new properties should come between Description and Description writers. - Annette, Bildarchivare from Germany