Author Topic: Location data not displayed in some on contact sheet  (Read 2366 times)

Offline pm_sgp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Location data not displayed in some on contact sheet
« on: November 25, 2021, 03:23:48 AM »
Hi,

Newbie to photo mechanic.
I have been trying to get location data ( place, city, country, GPS boolean) displayed in the contact sheet photos.
I have tried all possible variable.
I am not able to display the above parameters in most photos. Some of them displays place alone. However other photos taken in the same place has no location data displayed.
The GPS boolean displays 1 in all the photos though.
So GPS data exists but the contact sheet labels does not display location info.

THanks for your help in anticipation

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Location data not displayed in some on contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 08:18:29 PM »
Newbie to photo mechanic.
I have been trying to get location data ( place, city, country, GPS boolean) displayed in the contact sheet photos.
I have tried all possible variable.
I am not able to display the above parameters in most photos. Some of them displays place alone. However other photos taken in the same place has no location data displayed.
The GPS boolean displays 1 in all the photos though.
So GPS data exists but the contact sheet labels does not display location info.

Specifically, what variables are you using for your labels?

-Kirk

Offline pm_sgp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 05:28:03 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have tried pretty much all locational variables ( not at the same time but one after another)  lctk, cttk, sttk, cntk, cctk, loc, cnty,
IN one amoung 50, it displays lctk but not in any other although the GPS latlong data exists

Cheers

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 08:23:40 AM »
I have tried pretty much all locational variables ( not at the same time but one after another)  lctk, cttk, sttk, cntk, cctk, loc, cnty,
IN one amoung 50, it displays lctk but not in any other although the GPS latlong data exists

Please post an image that doesn't display the information.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pm_sgp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 10:00:01 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Here is a picture that does not display the location details. The 1 you see in the centre is the GPS Data boolean. THe second one shows the location. The only one amongst 100s that does not show the location

Cheers

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
I need an actual image that experiences the problem, not a screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pm_sgp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 12:39:25 AM »
Here you go, Kirk
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »
Thank you.  I will investigate and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 09:23:52 AM »
That image does not have any XMP data for the variables that you listed.  If I open your image in the Metadata Info window (click the 'i' button that appears over the image when I put my mouse cursor over it) and scroll to the Location and Location Taken areas, the fields are blank.  The Location Shown table does have location information.  If I click on the globe icons (the Reverse Geocoding buttons) and then hold down the Modifier Key (Shift on Windows, Option on macOS) and click the "Eval" button, the same location information is now visible in those fields as well (with the exception of the State information which remains blank.)

Did you apply Reverse Geocoding to all of the images as they were Ingested?

-Kirk

Offline ejhutch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
I took a look at the image in a Hex Editor (Synalyze It! Pro) and a file comparison program that can do a byte compare of photos (Beyond Compare), and it does have GPS data included. But not sure if it's where PM is expecting it. I've run across this behavior before, going from one app to another, and not just with Photo Mechanic, which is why I'm posting. Though I haven't been able to take the time to figure out the cause... just that there is metadata in an image, but one or another app doesn't recognize that it's there, while another app might. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I looked into this, and I cannot remember which programs exhibit which behavior. Screenshots are attached. Hopefully this helps someone.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 03:24:58 PM by ejhutch »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 03:10:23 PM »
I took a look at the image in a Hex Editor and a Photo Comparison program that can do a byte compare, and it does have GPS data included. But not sure if it's where PM is expecting it. Screenshots are attached.

It does have GPS data and Photo Mechanic does find the GPS data, however the variables being used populate from the fields which are in the various locations taken and shown fields, which are empty, and not the "Location Shown" table, which is populated in the sample file.