Photo Mechanic > Feature Requests

IPTC image regions

(1/2) > >>

gverhoev:
Hi all,

The 2019.1 IPTC standard introduced IPTC Image Regions. Shapes within an image can be marked up as rectangle, circle or polygon, and any existing IPTC Photo Metadata field can be added to a region. In addition, two new properties, Image Region Content-Type and Image Region Role, were added to provide characteristics of a region.
Is Photo Mechanic going to support those?

Related to this: the IPTC website (https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/software-support/#pid13) tells me that Photo Mechanic is only supporting a subset of IPTC core fields, while the IPTC Extension fields in XMP encompass only the IPTC 2008 Standard fields (and not, for instance, the 2014 or 2017 Standard fields). Is there a reason for this? Is there any plan to support the IPTC standard in its entirety?

Thanks for your insights!
Geert

Kirk Baker:
Geert,

--- Quote from: gverhoev on November 25, 2021, 02:14:52 PM ---The 2019.1 IPTC standard introduced IPTC Image Regions. Shapes within an image can be marked up as rectangle, circle or polygon, and any existing IPTC Photo Metadata field can be added to a region. In addition, two new properties, Image Region Content-Type and Image Region Role, were added to provide characteristics of a region.
--- End quote ---

We have no plans to support those at this time.

--- Quote from: gverhoev on November 25, 2021, 02:14:52 PM ---Related to this: the IPTC website (https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/software-support/#pid13) tells me that Photo Mechanic is only supporting a subset of IPTC core fields, while the IPTC Extension fields in XMP encompass only the IPTC 2008 Standard fields (and not, for instance, the 2014 or 2017 Standard fields). Is there a reason for this? Is there any plan to support the IPTC standard in its entirety?
--- End quote ---

No one has asked us to support them.  It's a lot of work to do so.  If enough people wanted it then we would likely support more fields.

-Kirk

Bob M:
I would certainly like the "alt text" field to be supported.

gverhoev:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on November 25, 2021, 08:20:39 PM ---Geert,

--- Quote from: gverhoev on November 25, 2021, 02:14:52 PM ---The 2019.1 IPTC standard introduced IPTC Image Regions. Shapes within an image can be marked up as rectangle, circle or polygon, and any existing IPTC Photo Metadata field can be added to a region. In addition, two new properties, Image Region Content-Type and Image Region Role, were added to provide characteristics of a region.
--- End quote ---

We have no plans to support those at this time.

--- Quote from: gverhoev on November 25, 2021, 02:14:52 PM ---Related to this: the IPTC website (https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/software-support/#pid13) tells me that Photo Mechanic is only supporting a subset of IPTC core fields, while the IPTC Extension fields in XMP encompass only the IPTC 2008 Standard fields (and not, for instance, the 2014 or 2017 Standard fields). Is there a reason for this? Is there any plan to support the IPTC standard in its entirety?
--- End quote ---

No one has asked us to support them.  It's a lot of work to do so.  If enough people wanted it then we would likely support more fields.

-Kirk

--- End quote ---

Hi Kirk, I understand that it is much work, but standards are there to be followed, no?
What good is it to have a standard like IPTC if the software tools are not 100 % following that standard? This only leads to a potential loss of metadata between photographer, agency, supplier, and publisher.
I raise this issue as an academic because the long-term archives we use are very strict about established standards. If image regions are created according to the IPTC standard by software X, and PM cannot decode them, we won't be able to use PM as our image viewer. As an individual consumer, I am happy with the possibilities within PM+ as these images will seldom leave my own hard drive, but in the greater scheme of metadata consistency, it would be great if PM could stick to (and support) all fields of the latest IPTC standard.

Kirk Baker:
Generally, we prioritize our work based on user demand.  We have added a "Like/Dislike" system.  If a lot of people want this to be added, they can comment on (and Like) this request.

The IPTC comes up with a lot of fields that over the years we have supported (at great expense) and find that a number of them see limited use by the majority of users.  We will have to weigh whether image regions are worth supporting or not.  At the very least, we will continue to preserve them if they're present.

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version