Author Topic: Finding photos not in a catalog  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Indy

• View Profile
Finding photos not in a catalog
« on: December 01, 2021, 07:13:27 AM »
This thread,

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14242.msg70538#msg70538

covers querying for photos not in a catalog (and explains why it isn't possible).

My question is related - how to find photos not in a catalog.  The program knows which photos are in a catalog because the status of each photo is shown on contact sheets.

So, is there any way on contact sheets to filter or at least sort pictures based on their catalog status?

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Finding photos not in a catalog
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 09:08:45 AM »
This thread,

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14242.msg70538#msg70538

covers querying for photos not in a catalog (and explains why it isn't possible).

My question is related - how to find photos not in a catalog.  The program knows which photos are in a catalog because the status of each photo is shown on contact sheets.

So, is there any way on contact sheets to filter or at least sort pictures based on their catalog status?

No, not currently.  And if it were to be added, it would require browsing folders and using the new command on each folder browsed which would be a very manual process.

-Kirk

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »
No, not currently.  And if it were to be added, it would require browsing folders and using the new command on each folder browsed which would be a very manual process.

-Kirk

Well, I would welcome a tool that would query a folder and let me know what photos are not in a catalog.

But, for now, since a contact sheet "knows" the catalog status of each photo it would be great to filter or sort by that status.  Manual and time consuming?  Yes, but my current method is scrolling through a contact sheet looking at the catalog indicator with my eyes >>> very manual, very time consuming AND very prone to errors.

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »
If you want all of the images in a given folder to be in your catalog, you can select all and add them to your catalog.  Images that are already in your catalog won't be duplicated.  Or do you need to be more selective in what you add or don't add to your catalog?

-Kirk

Offline ejhutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:01:15 PM »
This thread and the one it referenced prompted me to poke around. In the other thread, Kirk mentioned that:

The Catalog system can only perform queries on images that it knows about.  Images that are not known to the catalog are not in its database and cannot be queried.

The color of the dots (the catalog status indicator) vary between:

Unfilled (background color): completely unknown to any catalog.
Yellow: known to a catalog but currently offline or missing.
Green: known to a catalog and currently online.

I went to my Apple Photos Library in the navigator (folder browser/favorites view not the catalog view -- by the way, I think that the catalog viewer and folder/favorites browser have somewhat confusing non-intuitive icons), and opened the originals folder and it's subfolders in a new contact sheet.  Many of the images had green dots.  However, All of the images have Apple's naming convention of a GUID.extension, so they look something like 00B431CA-D5F7-49DA-B55D-F26FE09038F6.jpeg.

Some of the images in my Apple Photos library have been added to at least one of my PM+ catalogs, but with their original filenames, (which Apple stores in it's SQLite DB and cross references it with the GUID.extension filename stored in the originals folder). What's confusing me is that as far as I could remember, I had NOT added the apple photos library folders to any of my catalogs.

However, I just checked, and I did, in fact add that folder to it's own catalog at one point.  So that could explain the green dots.  Except that catalog was not enabled for either search or add/modify when I navigated to the Apple Photos Library originals folder.  But the PM+ contact sheet still seemed to know that I had added some of the images to a catalog at some point. even though it wasn't "enabled" at that time.  Is this how it's supposed to work?  I suppose if I had PM+ "forget" that catalog, then it wouldn't display the green dots. Is that correct?

From some other threads, I can actually see how it would be useful, while using the navigator and contact sheets to browse a directory hierarchy, to be able to sort by the dot (catalog) status, and even be able to have the catalogs an image has been added to be displayed somehow (and their online/offilne status per catalog because that could be different on a per catalog basis), perhaps as a variable or some other way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
This thread and the one it referenced prompted me to poke around. In the other thread, Kirk mentioned that:

The Catalog system can only perform queries on images that it knows about.  Images that are not known to the catalog are not in its database and cannot be queried.

The color of the dots (the catalog status indicator) vary between:

Unfilled (background color): completely unknown to any catalog.
Yellow: known to a catalog but currently offline or missing.
Green: known to a catalog and currently online.

Some of the images in my Apple Photos library have been added to at least one of my PM+ catalogs, but with their original filenames, (which Apple stores in it's SQLite DB and cross references it with the GUID.extension filename stored in the originals folder). What's confusing me is that as far as I could remember, I had NOT added the apple photos library folders to any of my catalogs.

If you used the Scan to Catalog feature and chose a folder above that folder then the scan may have entered that folder (assuming you didn't add an exception to keep it out.)

However, I just checked, and I did, in fact add that folder to it's own catalog at one point.  So that could explain the green dots.  Except that catalog was not enabled for either search or add/modify when I navigated to the Apple Photos Library originals folder.  But the PM+ contact sheet still seemed to know that I had added some of the images to a catalog at some point. even though it wasn't "enabled" at that time.  Is this how it's supposed to work?

The system knows that those images belong to at least one catalog, whether or not it was set to Search.

I suppose if I had PM+ "forget" that catalog, then it wouldn't display the green dots. Is that correct?

Yes, correct.

-Kirk

Offline ejhutch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 08:46:40 AM »
Just posted a feature request for this here:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14655.msg72125#msg72125.

Briefly:
I'm making the following related feature requests for PM6+

Add the capability to utilize an image's catalog status (online, offline, unknown) to sort, filter, or otherwise categorize images displayed in a contact sheet and/or elsewhere in PM+ that would be useful.
Add the capability to display with each image and each image's thumbnail (and/or elsewhere in PM+ wherever it might be useful) an indicator of which catalog or catalogs an image is included in.

Offline Indy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
Just posted a feature request for this here:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14655.msg72125#msg72125.
Thank you for creating the feature request.  Others who would like this functionality added should like or comment on the feature request thread.

If you want all of the images in a given folder to be in your catalog, you can select all and add them to your catalog.  Images that are already in your catalog won't be duplicated.
Thanks Kirk - this will help in some of my situations.