Author Topic: Panorama/HDR dngs created with Capture One 22  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Benson357

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Panorama/HDR dngs created with Capture One 22
« on: December 09, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »
Hi all!
The latest Capture One update creates dng files when merging images into an HDR image or panorama. These are not yet displayed by PM (build 6097). No preview is shown and an error message comes up when trying to get the info.

Andreas

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Panorama/HDR dngs created with Capture One 22
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
Capture One refuses to write metadata to DNG files, even though that is the standard. They include it in a sidecar. And in the past we have seen they do other strange things with how they write the jpg preview to DNG files if at all.   I wonder if you could use Adobe DNG converter on a Capture One DNG to "repair" it into a more standard DNG.  I have not tried that, but if you post a link to one of your Capture One DNGs I could try.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »
Andreas,

The latest Capture One update creates dng files when merging images into an HDR image or panorama. These are not yet displayed by PM (build 6097). No preview is shown and an error message comes up when trying to get the info.

It is likely that Capture One did not embed a JPEG preview when it created the DNG file.  I suggest checking the settings in Capture One to see if it offers an option to create a preview.  If not, then you can run the image through the Adobe DNG Converter (it's free) and it can put a JPEG preview inside the image.

As for the error message, you'll have to be more specific about what it said in order for me to provide further comments or suggestions.

-Kirk

Offline Benson357

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »
Hi Mick, hi Kirk,
thanks for the quick reply.

...and in the past we have seen they do other strange things with how they write the jpg preview to DNG files if at all.   

I thought something like that.... ;-) I will try it soon with the converter.

The error message is unspectacular. Where nothing is written, PM can read nothing...
Andreas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »
Andreas,

The error message is unspectacular. Where nothing is written, PM can read nothing...

It sounds like the DNG file may be malformed or we have a problem with our DNG metadata parser.  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Benson357

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 12:28:52 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Enclosed is the log file. Converting the file with the Adobe DNG converter to a "repaired" dng, as Mick suggested, works.

Andreas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
Andreas,

Enclosed is the log file.

Thanks.  PM's DNG handler definitely didn't like that file.  Would it be possible for you to make a small DNG from Capture One and share it with me?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:15:14 AM »
UPDATE: We received Andreas' sample file and Dennis has made changes to better support DNG files from Capture One.  It still won't have a full resolution preview, but it should show a thumbnail and allow one to make metadata changes.

These changes will appear in the next update to Photo Mechanic 6 and Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk