Author Topic: PDF files shown in folders  (Read 1599 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
PDF files shown in folders
« on: December 11, 2021, 07:06:40 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Is it possible to show PDF and Word or even Excel files in folders when the folder is opened as it is in File Explorer?

In all the judo competitions that I have covered since the early seventies, I have now added the results sheets as PDFs and all the articles that I have written for magazines and books as PDFs too. However, when I open folders in PM non-picture files are not shown.

If the PDFs or Word files were shown they could then easily be opened with the relevant programme. A recent set of results from the October Paris Grand Slam and contestant list are attached as examples.

Would that be at all possible?

Best regards,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PDF files shown in folders
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
David,

Is it possible to show PDF and Word or even Excel files in folders when the folder is opened as it is in File Explorer?

In all the judo competitions that I have covered since the early seventies, I have now added the results sheets as PDFs and all the articles that I have written for magazines and books as PDFs too. However, when I open folders in PM non-picture files are not shown.

If the PDFs or Word files were shown they could then easily be opened with the relevant programme. A recent set of results from the October Paris Grand Slam and contestant list are attached as examples.

Would that be at all possible?

You can show unknown files as proxies (see the View menu), but they won't be rendered.  They'll get a generic icon.  You may be able to use that to launch your editors.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »
Hi Kirk,
Thanks for the reply. I forgot about that feature and remember turning off the Proxies file a very long time ago because of all the XMP and PTN files that were filling the screen.

Yes, when the Proxies is turned on you can see the PDF files and Word files but not open them. In my Daminion catalogue, only the workable files such as PDFs, docs and Excel files show up which can be opened in the relevant programmes.

Is it feasible to do that in PM as I know other togs who also keep their results and other PDFs in the same folder as the images?

Best rgds,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 02:52:31 PM »
David,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about that feature and remember turning off the Proxies file a very long time ago because of all the XMP and PTN files that were filling the screen.

Yes, when the Proxies is turned on you can see the PDF files and Word files but not open them. In my Daminion catalogue, only the workable files such as PDFs, docs and Excel files show up which can be opened in the relevant programmes.

Is it feasible to do that in PM as I know other togs who also keep their results and other PDFs in the same folder as the images?

Certainly feasible, but we will have to see how many people want such a feature in order to prioritize it.

-Kirk