Author Topic: saving code replacement files  (Read 3050 times)

Offline harley_jeff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
saving code replacement files
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:37:27 AM »
I have a question about saving code replacement files. I have created my text files but am not sure what is the best program and/or file type to save them in, in order to be able to use them in a code replacement situations.  I am using a MAC and I have MS excel. When I try to save the file in Excel as a text file I get a message telling me that the file type may not be compatible with MS Excel. what would be a breet choice for saving these files, if any?

Thanks for any help. Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: saving code replacement files
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:05:02 AM »
Jeff,

I have a question about saving code replacement files. I have created my text files but am not sure what is the best program and/or file type to save them in, in order to be able to use them in a code replacement situations.  I am using a MAC and I have MS excel. When I try to save the file in Excel as a text file I get a message telling me that the file type may not be compatible with MS Excel. what would be a breet choice for saving these files, if any?

Excel may not be a good choice then.  Any text editor, including TextEdit which comes with Mac OS X, will usually do.  What you need to do is make sure that your code part of the line starts at the left column, then type a tab character (just press the tab key once) and then type in your replacement, followed by the enter key.  Just keep doing that and you'll have a set of lines that meet the needs of Code Replacement.

The last requirement is that the character encoding of the text must be Unicode, specifically the UTF-8 format.

In TextEdit, go to the Format menu and choose "Make Plain Text".  Then when you save the file, just make sure that the Plain Text Encoding of the file is Unicode (UTF-8) and you'll be all set.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline harley_jeff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: saving code replacement files
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
Excellent, Thanks Kirk.