Author Topic: Mac OS Monterrey & PM6+  (Read 1388 times)

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac OS Monterrey & PM6+
« on: December 15, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »
Have just set up my brand new, achingly expensive, 16” MacBook Pro.

Migrated all files etc. across from an 8 year old 15” to the new machine which is considerably faster and PM6+ runs really well, but I do have one problem.

Previously I kept my Image Library under Users, whereas most of the other files were kept in the iCloud drive of the old machine because there was not enough disk space on my old machine for the Image Library to be in the iCloud drive. It worked well but the downside was I had to back up the Image Library to external drives myself instead of being able to rely on iCloud to do so, or make it available on other devices such as an iPad.

Now have lots of disk space so tried setting up PM6+ with the Image Library and a new PM6+ Catalog in the iCloud Drive but it will not scan.

Have moved back to the old method of Images and Catalog outside the iCloud Drive and it all works again.

Am I chasing my tail in trying to get PM6+ to work inside the iCloud Drive?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac OS Monterrey & PM6+
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 12:49:47 PM »
George,

Am I chasing my tail in trying to get PM6+ to work inside the iCloud Drive?

Our applications do not have any knowledge of the iCloud system.  It appears that files that exist on an iCloud drive that are stored locally can work but I'm not sure how well they will work over time as your usage of your iCloud drive exceeds your local storage capacity and older files are moved to the cloud storage.

I was able to store an image on my iCloud drive and add it to a catalog and perform searches and work with the image.  But it's stored locally at this path:

/Users/kbaker/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Pictures

I wouldn't recommend trying to do this as iCloud Drive is unsupported by Photo Mechanic Plus directly.  I definitely do not recommend storing your catalogs there.

-Kirk

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 01:12:01 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I will stick to the proven method of having my Image Library and Catalog under my username outside of the iCloud Drive and backing them up to external drives as before.

Using iCloud as the normal home for them both seems too difficult a nut to crack.

What I will do, now I have lots of SSD space is put an updated copy of  my Image Library and Catalog in the ICloud Drive as another back up once a week, and I can then also view images remotely, without using PM6+, if needed.

Offline george_51

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 07:59:08 AM »
My 8 year old MacBook Pro was using iCloud to store infrequently accessed files that would not fit onto its 500GB SSD.

My new 16" MacBookPro has a vast 8TB SSD drive so I have turned off the 'Optimise iCloud Storage' option so that all my files are now stored on my Mac's SSD, and are also backed up in iCloud.

PM6+ now works perfectly with the Catalog folder in the same Pictures folder as the images on my SSD and when I check the iCloud files via a web browser it is backed up there as well.

Previously it failed to Scan to Catalog when some of the files were on my SSD and some files had been moved to the iCloud - under User/Library/Mobile Documents.

This seems to have solved my problem entirely.

:) :) :) :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 09:16:05 AM »
That's good to hear, George.

Thanks for the update.

-Kirk