Author Topic: Image previews missing  (Read 38114 times)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
Re: Image previews missing
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2020, 02:28:43 PM »
Restarted PM plus. It is running again.  Running command, will attach output shortly.

▶  AM_CACHE_ROOT=/tmp ./pmruby/bin/pmruby -rfind -rcamerabits/pmlib -e 'Find.find("/Volumes/Backup/Pictures/2012/2012_US_Visit/Capture"){|fp| (print "LOADING #{fp}: "; begin; bmap=CBits::PMLib::NRF::BitMap.load_scaled(fp,1600);p([bmap.width, bmap.height]);bmap.destroy; rescue Exception=>ex; puts(ex.message); end) if(test(?f,fp)&&(fp=~/\.(arw|cr2|crw|dng|heic|heif|jpeg|jpg|nef|orf|raf|raw|rw2|rwl|tif|tiff)$/i)) }' 2>&1 > ~/pm_results.log
TIFF Error:Incompatible type for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored, in 'TIFFFetchNormalTag'
TIFF Error:Incompatible type for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored, in 'TIFFFetchNormalTag'

/Applications/Photo Mechanic Plus.app/Contents

stderr was not redirected :( Attached logs

Offline pano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
Same problem here.  :(

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »
pano - Kirk needs to see the logs. Use help - reveal support data. It will generate a zip file with log files. Please attach it

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2020, 12:30:32 PM »
Attached latest log. I have restarted PM thrice now.  It is progressing though.

Offline pano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
@obelix: thx a lot!
@kirk: hi Kirk, i attached the log-file. Thanks for your help.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
Hi Kirk

My previews are built, after a few more restarts. Attached logs. Detached my HDD and previews show up.

Offline editor@africamediaonline.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2023, 12:38:14 AM »
With reference to:

"The preview proxies are cached within the catalog folder. However, currently PM will only use them when the original image location is offline. So even if your NAS is slow, PM would still prefer that original location if available. (Perhaps a future version of PM could prefer the local proxies if the original images are on a slow volume.)"

This is by far the biggest drawback of PM over against what was Media Pro. Media Pro would build the proxies and then always refer to those unless one viewed "media". It made Media Pro super fast and useful for managing large volumes of images in a digitisation or digital archiving workflow. It is what I most miss. If PM could just do that, build the proxies once and by default refer to them, then I believe we would have a system even better than Media Pro ever way. Right now it is extremely frustrating working with a large number of images within PM, it is just so very slow, particularly when they are large tiff files off a digitisation workflow.

Thanks

David

I have attached the logs.

Thanks.

I'm seeing tons of errors logged on October 9th where PM was unable to access files on "/Volumes/Pictures/…" while attempting to build the catalog and generate proxies.

It has the appearance of the NAS possibly having become unmounted while PM was working with it. ("path not found" errors and the like.)

I have one question though.  Are all the previews cached locally?  With the NAS situation, generating the previews just in time is too slow :(. If there is a way to regenerate all the previews, that is what I need.

The preview proxies are cached within the catalog folder. However, currently PM will only use them when the original image location is offline. So even if your NAS is slow, PM would still prefer that original location if available. (Perhaps a future version of PM could prefer the local proxies if the original images are on a slow volume.)

In any case, because of the errors that occurred on "/Volumes/Pictures/…" while building the catalog, I think your best bet would be to try again using "Scan to Catalog" and re-Scan the paths from that drive that you want to include in the catalog.

Regards,

Bill