Author Topic: Horrendous problems with 4.5 today...  (Read 16688 times)

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
Re: Horrendous problems with 4.5 today...
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 06:48:20 PM »
Daniel,

Similar to Mr. White, I have also recently started to see PM 4.5 randomly crash immediately after dropping a folder of images on the dock icon. Luckily the crash reporter has worked every time (roughly 4x) and I suffered no loss of preferences. At this point it's simply an annoyance to have to re-launch the app.

I believe the problem started after the recent Quicktime and Security Update 2007-004 (PowerPC) 1.1 updates.

12" 1.5GHz Powerbook
1.25GB DDR
MAC OS X 10.4.9

Please try the 4.5.1 beta, it should solve your crashing issue.  Visit the Announcements section for the download link.

-Kirk
Thanks Kirk, I'll give that a try.

-Dan

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 04:51:25 AM »
Thanks for everyones feedback and advice, I accept and take the point re backups and will implement a plan along the lines suggested. This would not have helped instantly on that afternoon as my backup will be at home -though of course later that day all would have been restored.  I apologise for my rant in the original messages but on hectic press day it was the last thing I needed and I just had to vent!  Lets not forget though that it was a bug and none of need them, PM is generally excellent and latest versions a huge step forward.
Cheers
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 07:02:52 AM »
Simon,

Thanks for everyones feedback and advice, I accept and take the point re backups and will implement a plan along the lines suggested. This would not have helped instantly on that afternoon as my backup will be at home -though of course later that day all would have been restored.  I apologise for my rant in the original messages but on hectic press day it was the last thing I needed and I just had to vent!  Lets not forget though that it was a bug and none of need them, PM is generally excellent and latest versions a huge step forward.

Please do try the 4.5.1 beta as it is much more stable.  Also, when Apple's CrashReporter comes up, there are three choices: Close, Report, Reopen.  Close just closes down the errant application.  Report sends information back to Apple and then closes the application.  Reopen (from what I can tell and I only did it once) deletes the preferences file and relaunches the application.  This may be what happened to you.  The reason I only did it once was because I experienced it with Apple's Mail application and when I Reopened Mail from a crash, it lost all of my email accounts!  So I don't know for sure if that is what Reopen does or not, it did seem to be directly responsible for the loss of all of my settings.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 10:02:29 AM »
Kirk, thanks, I downloaded the beta earlier and am about to begin using it. Re the crash reporter thing- you know (well actually you probably don't!) what it's like when you are rushing and not paying attention to each key stroke or mouse click - I can not now say with certainty what option I chose.  I'm pretty sure I've used the reopen option before now on various apps and not noticed the prefs being junked, but again not 100% sure, I might avoid it from now on however.. just to be sure.

cheers, Simon