Author Topic: Key words IPTC Data  (Read 1536 times)

Offline ajschaefer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Action Sports Pixs
Key words IPTC Data
« on: December 27, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
Is there a way to select several photos and add keyword (batch Porcess) those key word?  For example: I have a team player with 10 photos either together or throughout the import.  I want to select all of the same player and add his name etc.... I want to add player name to all 10 photos at 1 time.

This would assist in no having to add to each photos meta data individually

Let me know.  Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Key words IPTC Data
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »
Is there a way to select several photos and add keyword (batch Process) those key word?  For example: I have a team player with 10 photos either together or throughout the import.  I want to select all of the same player and add his name etc.... I want to add player name to all 10 photos at 1 time.

This would assist in no having to add to each photos meta data individually

Let me know.  Thanks

Sure.  You can use the Metadata (IPTC) Template, or the Keywords panel.  Both are accessible from the Image menu.

If you're really entering names of people shown in the photo, the "Persons Shown" field is considered more appropriate for that metadata, but you're free to do as you wish.

-Kirk

Offline ajschaefer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Action Sports Pixs
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 06:44:50 AM »
Kirk,

I want to select more than one photo and have the meta Key word update all at the same time.  I shoot the NFL for example and I got 10 of the quarterback in a row handing off the ball.  I want to be able to see if PM can add to the caption the Quarterback info (I use Code replacements)  So basically I want to select these 5 -10 individual photos and add all at once the Quarterbacks name.

I know I can do individually or create a separate template for each player but that is a very time consuming.  I want just see if we can do a batch process or sync.  Currently PM when I have the 10 photos selected it only adds the info to one of the photos.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »
I want to select more than one photo and have the meta Key word update all at the same time.  I shoot the NFL for example and I got 10 of the quarterback in a row handing off the ball.  I want to be able to see if PM can add to the caption the Quarterback info (I use Code replacements)  So basically I want to select these 5 -10 individual photos and add all at once the Quarterbacks name.

I know I can do individually or create a separate template for each player but that is a very time consuming.  I want just see if we can do a batch process or sync.  Currently PM when I have the 10 photos selected it only adds the info to one of the photos.

Use the Keywords panel.  It can apply in bulk and is more efficient.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 12:09:50 PM »
Currently PM when I have the 10 photos selected it only adds the info to one of the photos.

In addition I want to note that if your keywords are showing up on only one photo, then this means you are using the Metadata (IPTC) Info feature, when you really want the Metadata (IPTC) Template.

In general:

Metadata (IPTC) Info -- used to edit metadata for one selected photo. (press the 'i' key) 
Metadata (IPTC) Template -- used to add metadata to a batch of photos.  (Mac: command-i, Win: control-i) 

If you want to add various metadata to a batch of 10 photos, do this:

1. Select the 10 photos
2. Open the Metadata (IPTC) Template. (On a Mac: command-i, on Windows, control-i)   
3. Add metadata to the template
4. Click the button "Apply Template to Selected"   and that metadata will be applied to all 10 photos

Note: You can tell the difference between the Metadata Info and Metadata Template by looking at the window title

For more info, you can check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokqTQZ1XY4 by Carl Seibert. It is a very helpful introduction.

While using the keywords panel can be very valuable as Kirk has pointed out, if you're a sports photographer adding captions in addition to keywords, then mastering the Metadata (IPTC) Template will make your life so so so so much easier.

Hope this helps,

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits