Author Topic: Exchanging with darktable  (Read 744 times)

Offline nwinspeare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Exchanging with darktable
« on: January 02, 2022, 09:58:51 AM »
Hello,
I now use darktable as my raw developper as it has become in my view a very professional editor. My problem is exchanging tags...
Darktable uses xmp files stored in a <filename>.<ext>.xmp format whereas most apps (LR,C1...) use <filename>.xmp
Could it be possible to have the option for Photomechanic to read/write to <filename>.<ext>.xmp ?
Thanks,
Nicolas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Exchanging with darktable
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 05:48:37 PM »
Nicolas,

I now use darktable as my raw developper as it has become in my view a very professional editor. My problem is exchanging tags...
Darktable uses xmp files stored in a <filename>.<ext>.xmp format whereas most apps (LR,C1...) use <filename>.xmp
Could it be possible to have the option for Photomechanic to read/write to <filename>.<ext>.xmp ?

No.  That's completely non-standard.  The Darktable developers should follow the standard.

-Kirk

Offline LateJunction

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 02:07:10 AM »
Kirk,
I have just, inadvertently, posted a Support Ticket on this very subject, not realising this Feature Request part of the forum is available. Your response seems awfully blunt, if you'll forgive my saying so. What is this 'standard'? Is it an ISO standard? If not, who defines and maintains it? What are the 'penalties' associated with not following the 'standard? Could you make a little more time available to consider if there is a work-around you could suggest?

Tony Hamilton

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 07:04:40 AM »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 09:03:20 AM »
Tony,

Your response seems awfully blunt, if you'll forgive my saying so. What is this 'standard'?

It is not an official standard.

Is it an ISO standard? If not, who defines and maintains it?

No, not ISO.  It is a de-facto standard from Adobe.

What are the 'penalties' associated with not following the 'standard?

Lack of interoperability with other software (you've discovered this already).  Lower performance when querying the file system for the existence of these additional files.  Duplication of data in both the standard basename.XMP and the basename.ext.XMP files.  More file system clutter.  Lack of synchronization of the files depending on what software is used.  I really could go on with how bad it is if I were to think about it some more.

Could you make a little more time available to consider if there is a work-around you could suggest?

I can't think of a workaround.  We would have to modify our software to accommodate this unusual use of XMP files.

-Kirk