Author Topic: Problems with "Move Photos" function  (Read 1439 times)

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
Problems with "Move Photos" function
« on: January 04, 2022, 01:55:49 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) on MacOS 11.6.1 (Big Sur) and working with photos over a local network on a Synology DS1517+ running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2

I'm having two intermittent problems with the "Move Photos" function. They are repeatable issues but only after multiple tries.

Intermittently, after I hit the "move" button and create a new folder, the "open" button turns blue but hitting the return key on the keyboard does nothing. You must click the "open" button for it to complete the copy function.

The second but more serious problem is that occasionally PM will create the folder and allow the return key to complete the function but it will not place the photos in the newly created folder. It will place them in the same directory as the folder.

I'd appreciate any help with this as I end up repeating this hundreds of times while sorting assignments.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with "Move Photos" function
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 03:31:44 PM »
Daniel,

I am running Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) on MacOS 11.6.1 (Big Sur) and working with photos over a local network on a Synology DS1517+ running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2

I'm having two intermittent problems with the "Move Photos" function. They are repeatable issues but only after multiple tries.

Intermittently, after I hit the "move" button and create a new folder, the "open" button turns blue but hitting the return key on the keyboard does nothing. You must click the "open" button for it to complete the copy function.

The second but more serious problem is that occasionally PM will create the folder and allow the return key to complete the function but it will not place the photos in the newly created folder. It will place them in the same directory as the folder.

I'd appreciate any help with this as I end up repeating this hundreds of times while sorting assignments.

While I have no idea why the OS-provided dialog would act that way on your system/NAS, I can offer an alternative which will bypass that dialog entirely and will likely save you a lot of time:

Use the "This folder:" option.  Set your base path once by clicking the "..." button to set the parent folder.  Then in the field following it (preceded by the '+') enter the name of the folder that you would have manually created.  You can keep editing the folder name for each move and keep the parent folder the same.  If you need a different parent folder on the NAS, use the '...' button again to choose a new parent.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 05:42:01 AM »
Oh wow, that's way faster. Thank you!

So the other problems are likely with MacOS?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »
Daniel,

Oh wow, that's way faster. Thank you!

So the other problems are likely with MacOS?

Hard to say.  Photo Mechanic makes a call to an Apple-provided function to have the user choose a folder.  The OS takes it from there and when it returns control to Photo Mechanic, it gives Photo Mechanic the path to the folder that was chosen (or the fact that the user cancelled the operation if they did so.)  The interaction problems that you experienced happened outside of the control of Photo Mechanic.

I hope that explains things better.

-Kirk

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 10:08:17 AM »
That's pretty much what I understood, thanks.

Seriously, thanks again for your help. You guys are the greatest!