Author Topic: Edit function within PhotoMechanic Plus appears to be broken  (Read 1119 times)

Offline MRM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Edit function within PhotoMechanic Plus appears to be broken
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:18:17 AM »
I have been using PhotoMechanic Plus with DXO PhotoLab for a long time.  It appears to be the perfect combination, and I couldn't be happier.  My normal workflow is to use PM+ to sort through and keyword my images, and when I find one that I want to process in DXO I hit the 'E' key in PM+ and it activates DXO which then opens with the image ready for editing.  If DXO is already active, that process takes no more than a second or two.

Recently, that flow no longer works.  I select an image in PM+, hit 'E' and DXO activates (or loads if not already active), but the image I am trying to edit does not appear.  I don't know what is going on, but in troubleshooting a bit, if I use PM+ to locate the image in Windows explorer I can right click from within explorer, select 'Open With DXO Photolab', and the image appears in DXO ready for editing. 

Do you have any thoughts?  That tight integration between PM+ and DXO was great, and I would like to get it back as quickly as possible.

Thank you for all the work you do for photographers around the world!

Michael Marriott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Edit function within PhotoMechanic Plus appears to be broken
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 09:11:55 AM »
Michael,

I have been using PhotoMechanic Plus with DXO PhotoLab for a long time.  It appears to be the perfect combination, and I couldn't be happier.  My normal workflow is to use PM+ to sort through and keyword my images, and when I find one that I want to process in DXO I hit the 'E' key in PM+ and it activates DXO which then opens with the image ready for editing.  If DXO is already active, that process takes no more than a second or two.

Recently, that flow no longer works.  I select an image in PM+, hit 'E' and DXO activates (or loads if not already active), but the image I am trying to edit does not appear.  I don't know what is going on, but in troubleshooting a bit, if I use PM+ to locate the image in Windows explorer I can right click from within explorer, select 'Open With DXO Photolab', and the image appears in DXO ready for editing. 

Do you have any thoughts?  That tight integration between PM+ and DXO was great, and I would like to get it back as quickly as possible.

What build of Photo Mechanic Plus do you have?  If it is 6245, you may want to downgrade to 6097 if you're on the Windows platform.  You can get any of the current and previous builds here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

-Kirk

Offline MRM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:35:31 AM »
It looks like I need to uninstall 6245 before installing an earlier release?  Any concerns about losing links, catalogs, etc.?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 11:45:02 AM »
It looks like I need to uninstall 6245 before installing an earlier release?  Any concerns about losing links, catalogs, etc.?

There should be no loss of preferences or any other settings.

-Kirk

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 12:48:14 AM »
Hello Kirk,

as I had a similar problem, I also tested the old version 6097 on Windows.
There is no difference between the Version 6097 and 6245 on my Windows system (Windows 10 21H2).
Every program (Capture1 21, Photolab 5, Affinity, NX Studio, Nik Collections, even the old Capture NX2) is called correctly with the command "Edit photo with ...", but not dartable. This may be due to darktable 3.8, but rawtherapee 5.8 (also open source) will also run correctly.
On my Mac Computer (macOS 11.6.3) it is the same with the difference that darktable 3.8 is executed correctly, but only if it was already started. If darktable was not started, the command "Edit photo with ..." does nothing.

And I can confirm that you don't lose any settings if you uninstall a new version of PM on Windows first to be able to install an older version.

Greetings

Thomas
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:26:37 AM by bildbaendiger »