Author Topic: PLUS catalog file sizee  (Read 873 times)

Offline elementalpress

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PLUS catalog file sizee
« on: January 18, 2022, 10:56:01 AM »
Hi,

is there a way to change the image size and/or compression of the preview gallery? I've just started to deal with the PLUS version. To do this, I simply added 100 pictures to the catalogue.

After that I looked at the preview files and was a bit shocked how big they are. I think the dimensions of 1600px are fine, but why are the JPEGs so big?

An example: an average JPG preview is 350kb. But if you remove unnecessary overhead with ImageOptim (lossless), for example, the file size is only around 100kb. I assume that would be more than enough for a catalog (efficiency & limit catalog size).

Is there a reason for these large files and catalog thumbnails?

Thx and greets,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PLUS catalog file sizee
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »
Lars,

is there a way to change the image size and/or compression of the preview gallery? I've just started to deal with the PLUS version. To do this, I simply added 100 pictures to the catalogue.

After that I looked at the preview files and was a bit shocked how big they are. I think the dimensions of 1600px are fine, but why are the JPEGs so big?

An example: an average JPG preview is 350kb. But if you remove unnecessary overhead with ImageOptim (lossless), for example, the file size is only around 100kb. I assume that would be more than enough for a catalog (efficiency & limit catalog size).

Is there a reason for these large files and catalog thumbnails?

You can control the pixel size of the previews.  You cannot control what size is produced.  If you'd like to be able to control the quality (and thus the size), then please make a feature request.

-Kirk