Author Topic: Sort by import/transmission time  (Read 1215 times)

Offline dpa_Tim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sort by import/transmission time
« on: January 09, 2022, 04:17:59 AM »
Hello,

I am working as a photo editor for a news agency. At some events were our photographers don't have the opportunity to edit their pictures themselves they use to transmit selected pics directly out of the camera on to a remote server where editors like me edit the pictures. To do so, we use photo mechanic.

Now the problem: The pictures on the contact sheet are usualy sortet by capture time. If the photographer is transmitting pictures he made a while ago they will be displayed not on top of the contact sheet but somewhere in between. That makes it very hard to keep the overview which pictures I have seen already and wich are new.

The solution would be:"Sort by transmission time" or "Sort by import time" or something like that. Is there any way to get this done? Any help would be welcome.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sort by import/transmission time
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 07:40:38 PM »
Hello,

I am working as a photo editor for a news agency. At some events were our photographers don't have the opportunity to edit their pictures themselves they use to transmit selected pics directly out of the camera on to a remote server where editors like me edit the pictures. To do so, we use photo mechanic.

Now the problem: The pictures on the contact sheet are usualy sortet by capture time. If the photographer is transmitting pictures he made a while ago they will be displayed not on top of the contact sheet but somewhere in between. That makes it very hard to keep the overview which pictures I have seen already and wich are new.

The solution would be:"Sort by transmission time" or "Sort by import time" or something like that. Is there any way to get this done? Any help would be welcome.

No such feature exists.  Feel free to make a feature request in the Feature Requests message board.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 02:13:46 AM »
Tim,
If on a Mac you could use a utility such as "Hazel". You could set it up to watch your incoming folder and rename or append images to the date and time they were taken, and of course there are many other naming tokens.
Windows I am sure has something equivalent.
Cheers,
Nati

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:21:28 AM »
This may be a stupid suggestion and I haven't tried it.  But what happens if you sort by "arrangement".  Will the new photos not just be added at the end as they arrive?