Author Topic: Sort order of top level items in Favorites and Navigator panes  (Read 1302 times)

Offline photos@dsklein.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sort order of top level items in Favorites and Navigator panes
« on: January 12, 2022, 03:38:25 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) on macOS 12.0.1.

I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious, but in the Favorites and Navigator panes, I can not sort the top level items. I can easily sort the items contained within subfolders, but the top level items will not sort at all. For example, the attachments show the top level folders are in an apparently random order but the subfolders are sorted properly by name. How do I automatically sort the top level folders?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sort order of top level items in Favorites and Navigator panes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 04:54:33 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) on macOS 12.0.1.

I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious, but in the Favorites and Navigator panes, I can not sort the top level items. I can easily sort the items contained within subfolders, but the top level items will not sort at all. For example, the attachments show the top level folders are in an apparently random order but the subfolders are sorted properly by name. How do I automatically sort the top level folders?

They're listed in the order that you added them.  You can drag and drop them in any order you prefer.  The sort popup pertains to the folders in your top-level folders only.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline photos@dsklein.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »
I have never been able to drag and drop the top level folders to re-order them. I can drag a folder and drop it into another folder (ie., moving folders within the file system), but I’m unable to re-order folders short of removing and re-adding them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:57:40 PM »
I have never been able to drag and drop the top level folders to re-order them. I can drag a folder and drop it into another folder (ie., moving folders within the file system), but I’m unable to re-order folders short of removing and re-adding them.

I just tried it in the Favorites and it worked for me.  The Navigator order is not customizable.

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »

When you drag around in the Favorites area, your cursor needs to be pretty far to the left side of the panel in order for the blue placement bar to appear under the folder where you are trying to place the item you are dragging (I am assuming you are on a Mac here, the behavior may be different on Windows but I did not try it before posting). I'm attaching a short video so you can see what I mean.