Author Topic: PM ingest via m1pro mac sd card reader  (Read 932 times)

Offline pmathew

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM ingest via m1pro mac sd card reader
« on: January 14, 2022, 04:44:54 PM »
Hi, I've just set up a new M1pro mac (Monterey) and have found that ingesting images with PM6 from the internal card reader is unusably slow. around 5 minutes for 800MB (from a UHS-1 card).
Using my external usb 3 reader on the same card is fine, about 10 seconds for the 800MB and just copying the card from the internal card reader also seems to be fine.
I spent an hour or so on the phone to apple and they got me to do a heap of checks and then run a diagnostic tool and upload the results but I haven't heard back from them yet.
Just wondering if you have any thoughts on what might be going on. I understand that PM isnt native on mac silicon yet so perhaps that may be the problem?
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM ingest via m1pro mac sd card reader
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:32:58 PM »
Hi, I've just set up a new M1pro mac (Monterey) and have found that ingesting images with PM6 from the internal card reader is unusably slow. around 5 minutes for 800MB (from a UHS-1 card).
Using my external usb 3 reader on the same card is fine, about 10 seconds for the 800MB and just copying the card from the internal card reader also seems to be fine.
I spent an hour or so on the phone to apple and they got me to do a heap of checks and then run a diagnostic tool and upload the results but I haven't heard back from them yet.
Just wondering if you have any thoughts on what might be going on. I understand that PM isnt native on mac silicon yet so perhaps that may be the problem?

I really doubt it.  PM is just copying files with the I/O routines provided by the OS (macOS).  There isn't much CPU-intensive code involved in copying files.

-Kirk