Author Topic: F5 Refresh key not working (on my iMac)  (Read 2388 times)

Offline KnightPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
F5 Refresh key not working (on my iMac)
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:23:11 AM »
I've been poking around searching this forum and googling but I can't figure out why my iMac keyboard F5 Refresh key is not working?  I've tried hitting F5 alone and fn-F5 but nothing happens.  When I select Drop-down-menu-Refresh that of course works and the contact sheet re-applies my filter criteria (which is what I want to happen when I hit F5)

It's probably user error on my part but am none the wiser and appreciate suggestions on what to check?  I just tried MS Word and when I hit F5 the MS Word Find and Replace dialog box pops up.  So that would prove the F5 key is working.

I *think* this has been a long-standing problem I have been having that does not have to do with a recent upgrade to either Mac IOS 12/12.1 nor PhotoMechanic 6.0 Build 6097.  I have a vague idea it might be something in preferences but I just reviewed those in detail and nada.

Long-time PM user, love the product!!!!

Offline KnightPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: F5 Refresh key not working (on my iMac)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:24:35 AM »
PS. I just noticed on the drop-down menu, the word "Refresh" is in dark-text, but the "F5" shortcut key is GRAYED OUT implying it may be something I can control, but still not sure how to achieve that! :-)

Offline KnightPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 01:22:03 PM »
PPS. I have tried the IOS Settings - Keyboard - "Use F1, F2, etc. as standard functions keys" both checked and unchecked and it has no effect.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 10:11:53 AM »
When you press F5, does the View menu flicker for a moment?  If not, then I suspect that something in the OS is not delivering that key press to Photo Mechanic.  There may be some function in the OS that you currently have F5 set to trigger instead.

-Kirk

Offline KnightPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 06:31:37 PM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for your comment.  I am a tiny bit further... If I select View ==> Enter Full screen, F5 works.  Then I'm continuing to rank photos (I use colour rating) and it stops working.  Exit Fullscreen.  Enter Full Screen.  F5 works again.  That's my discovery this evening. 

I haven't swapped my session out to a different program.  The whole time I am in PM, I use dual screens with thumbnails on my left (auxiliary screen) and the full-size image on my main right screen.

Offline KnightPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 06:48:52 PM »
Okay, I think I have the EXACT pattern (full screen or not is a red herring).

I use Colour class to rank my photos.  As mentioned on my left screen is the contact sheet, right screen is the full size image.  I use the number keys at the top of the keyboard to set colour class.  The program has always behaved in two different modes.  IN THE MODE WHEN I TYPE THE NUMBER KEY (to set colour class) AND IT DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY JUMP TO THE NEXT PHOTO (i.e. I have to use the right arrow to move on to the next photo), THAT IS WHEN F5 WORKS AS ADVERTISED.

However usually I prefer the MODE WHERE AS SOON AS I TYPE THE NUMBER IT AUTOMATICALLY JUMPS TO THE NEXT PHOTO.  IN THIS MODE F5 NEVER WORKS! :-)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 10:57:07 AM »
It seems like this issue is really coming down to which window has the focus. Photo Mechanic has two main windows, the Contact Sheet (which displays the grid of thumbnails), and the Preview window, which shows a large image and then some info panels.

However usually I prefer the MODE WHERE AS SOON AS I TYPE THE NUMBER IT AUTOMATICALLY JUMPS TO THE NEXT PHOTO.  IN THIS MODE F5 NEVER WORKS! :-)

This would be the Preview window. F5 is the shortcut to refresh the Contact Sheet, and is only meant to work when the Contact Sheet has focus. Ultimately it sounds like this is a request for the Contact Sheet to have the option to advance to the next image when it has focus and you change the color label, similar to how the Preview window does. Feel free to make a thread in the Feature Requests forum if you'd want to see this in Photo Mechanic.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 12:24:39 PM »
KnightPhoto (just to add to what Andrew has said ) I suspect that if you press ⌘-` (Command-back tick*) first and THEN Fn-F5 it should work (regardless wether or not auto-advance is enabled or not). Why should this work? Because ⌘-` will switch the window focus back to your Left Screen (Contact Sheet) then the F5 Refresh will work there.   You can then press ⌘-` again to return focus  to the Preview window and go back to adding color class with auto-advance.

-Mick

* this is on the tilde (~) key

Mick O
Camera Bits